File deletes taking a while?

A month before my file deletes were perfectly fine and took very quickly. But recently when deleting files, it’s been taking quite a long time to do (I mean a couple seconds or longer) which is quite slow for a usual delete?

The files I delete are usually small and do get moved to the trash.

Any ideas?

… there are ideas, of course
but it’s neither helpful nor efficient to do what is essentially:
speculating

But that is all that can be done right now - without any information about your system.

You sit in front of your machine - none of the people you ask for help do.

Help them help you - by sharing information about your system and describing the symptoms in more detail.

2 Likes

Sorry it was late when I wrote this.

I’m running on Manjaro with KDE as my DE.
The OS is running on a 100GB (haven’t had time to expand it) EXT4 partition on a HDD with about 20GB space free.

Moving a file from folder A to B is practically instant as far as I can see. It’s only when deleting a file I get a notification on the bottom right stating “moving to wastebin”. I tried this now and my delete time was around 5-7 seconds (I have seen it as long as 20+ seconds).

Before moving the HDD access light isn’t blinking at all so the HDD being busy is probably out of the question. Only right before the move to wastebin completes the light starts blinking continuously for half a second.

Creating and modifying files is also practically instant as far as I can see.

PS: The test files are empty and are bytes in size. Size doesn’t really seem to affect this issue.

(let me know if you need more information)

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

1. Please read this:
    How to provide good information
    and press the three dots below your post and press the :pencil2: to give us more information so we can see what’s really going on.
    Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies… :grin:
  2. An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information for us to be able to help you. (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)
    Also, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text.
  3. The contents of your /etc/fstab and you mentioning on which mount deletions take forever would be helpful as well.

:+1:

P.S. If you want to notify me that you did provide this information, please :heart: this message and I’ll come back and have another look.