Failed installing icu (75.1-1) breaks dependency ‘libicuuc.so=74-64’ required qt5-webkit

It suggests me to remove qt5-webkit. Is it safe? I’ve seen messages of people, both using Manjaro and other Arch distributions, having bricked systems after this latest update, so I’m not sure if going on or wait for a new update.

People could make better suggestions on how to proceed if you would share the terminal output of the whole session.
The graphical tool (pamac-manager) also has the option to show this.

But it may be easier to open a terminal and:
sudo pacman-mirrors -f
or, in my case:
sudo pacman-mirrors -c Germany
(refresh mirrors)

and then:
sudo pacman -Syyu

then share the whole output

Hi @viktorbir,

The only qt-webkit I could fine is in the AUR:

$ pamac search qt5-webkit
python-pyqt5-webkit  5.15.10-1                                                                                                                                                                                                                            AUR
A set of Python bindings for the Qt5 toolkit with Qt5WebKit support
mingw-w64-qt5-webkit  5.9.0-1                                                                                                                                                                                                                             AUR
Classes for a WebKit2 based implementation and a new QML API (mingw-w64)
qt5-webkit-movableink-git  r269464.3cfcdcf38a52-3                                                                                                                                                                                                         AUR
Classes for a WebKit2 based implementation and a new QML API
qt5-webkit-git  5.212.0.alpha4.r13.gac8ebc6c3-4                                                                                                                                                                                                           AUR
qt5-webkit  5.212.0alpha4-23                                                                                                                                                                                                                              AUR

Therefore, I think it’s safe to remove as long as your mirrors are updated and synced.

You can use pacman -Qi qt5-webkit to see if the package is required by any other package. If not, you can remove it.

1 Like

That depends … on what is depending on it - the simplest check

sudo pacman -Rns qt5-webkit -p

If you find there is no problems you repeat the command without the -p option

1 Like

Im getting something similar, it asks me to remove electron25 though.

My output:

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                            139.8 KiB   149 KiB/s 00:01 [------------------------------------------------------] 100%
 extra                                                             8.3 MiB  4.09 MiB/s 00:02 [------------------------------------------------------] 100%
 multilib                                                        144.9 KiB   134 KiB/s 00:01 [------------------------------------------------------] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace dbus-python with extra/python-dbus? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing icu (75.1-1) breaks dependency 'libicui18n.so=74-64' required by electron25
:: installing icu (75.1-1) breaks dependency 'libicuuc.so=74-64' required by electron25

There is at least one other thread about this exact same issue.

and you should.

will it not break anything?

No, it won’t break anything - you would know why had you read the the other thread I linked you to.
(the green part of the text is a link)

1 Like