ERROR: device not found. Skipping fsck

I had an Ubuntu dualboot next to Windows and wanted to replace Ubuntu by Manjaro by deleting the partition where Ubuntu was located from Windows in the “disk management”.

However, when I rebooted my computer, I could not access either Windows or Ubuntu (which is quite logical). After some attempts to recover Windows I decided to remove my Bootsecure, to delete Windows because I don’t really need it and to replace it by Manjaro KDE. So I booted on my USB key and during the installation I chose the option to remove everything and put Manjaro. However after finishing the installation and reboot I got this error:

ERROR: device 'UUID=number" not found. Skipping fsck.
mount: /new_root: can't find UUID=number.
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off

I looked at a lot of pages related to this error. I understood that the grub was broken. I managed to reinstall a grub where I can select my Manjaro. It seems to recognize the installation I did of Manjaro but I immediately get the error above.

This is what the command returns to me lsblk -f:

loop0       squashfs 4.0                                                                          0   100% /run/miso/sfs/livefs
loop1       squashfs 4.0                                                                          0   100% /run/miso/sfs/mhwdfs
loop2       squashfs 4.0                                                                          0   100% /run/miso/sfs/desktopfs
loop3       squashfs 4.0                                                                          0   100% /run/miso/sfs/rootfs
sda         iso9660  Joliet Extension MANJARO_KDE_2112 2021-09-04-18-07-46-00                     0   100% /run/miso/bootmnt
├─sda1      iso9660  Joliet Extension MANJARO_KDE_2112 2021-09-04-18-07-46-00                              
└─sda2      vfat     FAT12            MISO_EFI         F9F3-0D0C                                           
nvme0n1                                                                                                    
├─nvme0n1p1 vfat     FAT32            NO_LABEL         F151-C1D1                                           
├─nvme0n1p2 ext4     1.0                               d7088230-cae3-49c4-a3ac-0b972e930e48                
└─nvme0n1p3 ext4     1.0                               c0624f10-8cb5-4500-8c83-3da637c4801f      

Does anyone have an idea to save my life? I’ve looked at many similar problems on forums but nothing seems to work for me.

Thank you for reading.

What I would think, without knowing your system, is that you are using Intel RST. Therefore you need to add the vmd module to the initramfs.

1. Boot the Manjaro Install Disk
  2. Chroot to the local installation:
    manjaro-chroot -a

3. Replace MODULES=() with:
    MODULES=(vmd)

at the file: /etc/mkinitcpio.conf like this:
    nano /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

4. recreate the initramfs:
    mkinitcpio -P

Then the Intel RST Driver/Module should work on the local installation.

3 Likes

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Uuid not found - Stuck In S\hell