Uuid not found - Stuck In S\hell

Using the same official KDE installer I used for my desktop, I applied it to my laptop. First boot in and I’m stuck in shell. Updated the installer and the same problem occurred. This is a system that previously used Windows 10 on it and I’ve disabled secure boot. I cannot hold shift to go into grub and use init=bin/bash, although I would love to find a way to do this and grab my usb timeshare drive and fix everything.

The USB drives I used were both different, one with Ventoy and the other purely the KDE version installer

System and Error: (In Photos) imgur.com/a/gAqC1Ff

How do I get out of shell and into a working heavenly terminal?

Since UUID referred to the root directory, you can’t do anything there. You are on a Init-Ramdisk now.

I guess it is because of Intel RST… Have a look here:

2 Likes

It does have Intel RST. I’ll set it up when you’ve answered the question I posted on the forum you gave.

Noob question, but when you say “At the file”, Do you mean ~/etc/mkinitcpio.conf before I do the mkinitcpio -P command? Because when I do, it says that it’s not a directory which of course not, it’s a text file.

This is a whole block of instruction, they are numbered if you look at it. So basically:

Replace MODULES=() with MODULES=(vmd) in the file /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

Also ~ character stand for your home folder, so I guess you made a typo when writing "Do you mean ~/etc/mkinitcpio.conf" (note the out of place ~ character you put before the file path)

1 Like

Ah, I see. I must have wrote it wrong to begin with. Thanks for the help

This is how I did it and I still have the same problem with booting into shell.

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ manjaro-chroot -a
==> Mounting (ManjaroLinux) [/dev/nvme0n1p2]
 --> mount: [/mnt]
 --> mount: [/mnt/boot/efi]
 --> mount: [/mnt/home]
[manjaro /]# MODULES=(vmd)
[manjaro /]# mkinitcpio -P
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux513.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.13-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.13-x86_64.img
==> Starting build: 5.13.13-1-MANJARO
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-5.13-x86_64.img
==> Image generation successful
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux513.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.13-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.13-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> Starting build: 5.13.13-1-MANJARO
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-5.13-x86_64-fallback.img
==> Image generation successful
[manjaro /]# 

I will quote myself again in case you completely didn’t read it. You wrote MODULES=(vmd) in your terminal, this was not what was instructed. Edit the file.

That means:

Open it with an editor

Like that:

sudo nano /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

(replace nano with any editor you want)

There you can add the module, like I said :wink:

1 Like

We should move this back into my topic about this, however thank you for the clarification on using nano. With it I successfully change the file details and… I am still stuck in shell. Should I change the Binaries, Files, Hooks, or Compressions in any way as well since this hasn’t worked?

I should say that the Module wasn’t blank like you had it however, it was filled with MODULES=(piix ide_disk reiserfs). If I need to add the vmd on top of that, let me know.

@Wirevein

Yes please do so.

1 Like

Well I did
MODULES=(vmd piix ide_disk reiserfs)
MODULES=(piix ide_disk reiserfs vmd)
and two modules at the same time like this;

MODULES=(piix ide_disk reiserfs)
MODULES=(vmd)

and after each one I did mkinitcpio -P.

None of that didn’t work as of yet. How would you order them to work properly?

Did you remove the pound (#) character at the beginning of this line? If you did, set it back. If you didn’t, then the line is commented and it won’t have any effect generating the initramfs.

Right below that line, there should be an empty MODULES=() directive. That’s where you add the vmd module mentioned above.

Once you have done that, run sudo mkinitcpio -P. That should do the trick.

Never removed it.

This is the entire Module part in mkinitcpio.conf is:

# vim:set ft=sh
# MODULES
# The following modules are loaded before any boot hooks are
# run.  Advanced users may wish to specify all system modules
# in this array.  For instance:
#     MODULES=(piix ide_disk reiserfs)
MODULES=""

Are you saying I should add the vmd to MODULES="vmd"?

Yes, but no, the double quotes was the previous way of writing it (it is deprecated now), it should now be the double parenthesis.

So Replace MODULES="" with MODULES=(vmd)

1 Like

Okay, I should have realized anything beginning with # was a comment, but this is a lesson learned.
Thank you all for your time and effort. It now boots up properly.

I changed solution to megavolt’s post as my last reply was the solution to your non understanding of editing the config file, his reply was the solution to the thread.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.