Dual Booting Manjaro with macOS Mojave (2017 MBP)

Heya,

I'm new to Linux and dual-booting, and I really want to install it on a separate partition, I've heard scary stuff about grub, and I'm just pretty confused on the process.

I know how to put an iso onto a usb stick, boot into it from the default macOS boot manager, thats all I know.

I've seen people talking about rEFInd(replacement for the macOS bootmanager?), and something about grub and it messing around with the boot-manager. I've also heard people talking about making a separate boot partition or something.
So if some kind soul could walk me through the process, I would be ETERNALLY grateful.

If you are new to Linux - don't install on Apple hardware - there is no one to hold you hands.

Grub is not scary - but installing on 2017 MacBook Pro with Touchbar - that is scary and requires a lot of tweaking and editing and building packages from github - not to mention the problems with wireless and the fact that you need external mouse and keyboard to be able to interact with the system.

It is a task that makes hardcore Linux users pull their hair - I really recommend you put that idea back in your drawer until you know the ins and outs of a Manjaro Linux system.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mac

Warning: This does not apply to more recent macbooks. These are very poorly supported. See here for more information.

My MacBook Pro has model-id MacBookPro14,2 and when I tried - about a year ago - it was way to much work to get the most basic functionality.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by