Dual Boot Issue (Grub Menu Only Appearing From Bios and not Automatically)

My bad, it was a momentary memory lapse. It should be --target="x86_64-efi". I have modified my post above now.

Yes, You should set it as the first item.

Also why is 2003 number listed in BootOrder.?The list clearly shows there is no such number.

I’m guessing MS-Glassware added that. :thinking:

The numbering is weird, though. On my system here ─ exclusively dedicated to Manjaro; I don’t do Windows ─ all entries start with “000”, and the only other entries beside the SSD are for removable devices.

I tried following command,

sudo efibootmgr -o 0000,3003,3000,2001,2002

The output showed that the order was changed. But when I rebooted (of course Windows booted again). I manually entered Manjaro and hit efibootmgr and saw that the bootorder doesn’t have 0000.

Please help me with adding the bootnumber.

Have you run the command to reinstall GRUB, as per my recommendation? That should normally add a menu item to the EFI boot manager.

You could even try adding the --bootloader-id="0000" option.

I did miss your post I guess. I am trying that now. Will let you know ASAP.

sudo grub-install --recheck --no-rs-codes --modules=“part_gpt part_msdos” --efi-directory="/boot/efi" --target=“x86_64-efi”

I had no success with this

Appending --bootloader=“0000” option seem to change name in boot option. Initially it wass manajaro xxxx now it is 0000 and no success either

What’s the output of… :arrow_down:

sudo efibootmgr -v

… ?

I think I got into trouble now. I was trying to change the name from 0000 to Manjaro. On doing that now my boot entry for Manjaro is gone. I can’t get into Manjaro. Could you help me?

Try this… :arrow_down:

sudo grub-install --recheck --modules="part_gpt part_msdos" --efi-directory="/boot/efi" --target="x86_64-efi" --bootloader-id="Manjaro"

Then, check the boot entries with… :arrow_down:

sudo efibootmgr -v

Once you know the number of the Manjaro boot option ─ let’s assume it is “0000”, but change this in the command below if required ─ you could try this… :arrow_down:

sudo efibootmgr  -b 0000 -a
sudo efibootmgr -o 0000,<your-other-entries-here>

Should I do this from Manjaro Live USB CD? Because I cannot get into Manjaro now. I only have access to Windows.

Yes. Boot up in live mode, and then issue… :arrow_down:

sudo su -

Next, issue… :arrow_down:

manjaro-chroot -a

… and hit 1. Then issue… :arrow_down:

grub-install --recheck --modules="part_gpt part_msdos" --efi-directory="/boot/efi" --target="x86_64-efi" --bootloader-id="Manjaro"

Then, check the boot entries with… :arrow_down:

efibootmgr -v

Once you know the number of the Manjaro boot option ─ let’s assume it is “0000”, but change this in the command below if required ─ you could try this… :arrow_down:

efibootmgr -b 0000 -a
efibootmgr -o 0000,<your-other-entries-here>

Sure, I will let you know with the results

Wow, got my bootfile back and I’m in Manjaro once again.

Posting output of efibootmgr -v

BootCurrent: 0001
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 3003,3001,2001,2002,2003
Boot0001* Manjaro       HD(1,GPT,40811db9-6242-4be3-bf29-63dcbc0233d2,0x800,0x104000)/File(\EFI\Manjaro\grubx64.efi)
Boot0003* Windows Boot Manager  HD(1,GPT,40811db9-6242-4be3-bf29-63dcbc0233d2,0x800,0x104000)/File(\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi)WINDOWS.........x...B.C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{.9.d.e.a.8.6.2.c.-.5.c.d.d.-.4.e.7.0.-.a.c.c.1.-.f.3.2.b.3.4.4.d.4.7.9.5.}...M................
Boot2001* USB Drive (UEFI)      RC
Boot2002* Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive (UEFI)      RC
Boot3000* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk        RC
Boot3001* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk        RC
Boot3003* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk        RC

Still Windows is booting directly and the original problem exists.

And why does Manjaro’s Boot Number always disappear after resart?? I am pretty sure I added Manjaro’s boot number before restart and efibootmgr also outputed Manjaro’s number in the bootorder.

1 Like

All I can suggest is… :arrow_down:

sudo efibootmgr -o 0001,0003,2001,2002,3000,3001,3003

:man_shrugging:

I don’t know if this will be much of help but 3 hours earlier pamac pushed major update to my PC. It was Mikah what was installed originally. But it’s Nibya I guess. I mean to ask did fallback image create any trouble with the bootloader?

There was an update to the GRUB theme, but that’s really all that could be pertinent to the early boot process.

No, it was most definitely your reinstallation of Microsoft Windows that ruined your Manjaro boot. Windows is notorious for doing that ─ it wants to claim the machine for itself. Even now with Microsoft’s strongly improved attitude towards GNU/Linux, that part still hasn’t changed.

However it’s sad to say, I got the workaround via Windows bcdedit. The article that @chomsky linked had a command in the last checklist. What that command did is it pointed my bootloader to grub64 on boot. I wanted to make things work from Manjaro but this time I needed Windows help to solve the issue. I am marking @chomsky answer as solution.

I respect your effort. Thanks @Aragorn . Well you taught me how to get my bootloader file back. I learnt something new. Happy Linux, happy Manjaro.

Thanks @chomsky. Indeed bcdedit did the trick. Well, I wanted workaround from Linux and not Windows but I got what I needed and my problem has been solved.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.