Dropping all legacy and older Nvidia drivers ?!?

Does anyone have a recommendation for this particular setup:

GeForce GTX 770 (passthrough to Windows VM)
GeForce GTX 970

linux-vfio - 5.8.13-arch1-1-vfio (from AUR)
nvidia-440xx-dkms 440.100-1 (from AUR)

System update fails due to inability of nvidia-440xx-dkms to be installed on both 5.9 and 5.10 - or rather their corresponding vfio patched kernel versions.

It was really easy to have the system up to date all the way up to 5.8. Normally, vfio patched kernel is built (installed) after an hour or so, and then dkms takes care of nvidia drivers - they get built (installed) as well and system is then ready for a reboot.

I have tested installing nvidia-440xx-dkms on stock Manjaro kernel 5.10.2-2 and I also faced the dependency conflict as giobego above - yay did not resolve the conflict in my case.

So, it seems nvidia-440xx-dkms on both stock and vfio patched kernels is broken, and the maintainer and packager of AUR (en) - nvidia-440xx-dkms has apparently quit.

• What are my options ?

For now I’m stuck and sitting on 5.8.13-arch1-1-vfio as it is the last one with which nvidia-440xx-dkms was able to be installed.
Thank the stars for Timeshift + dd + external backup disk.

Looks like the nvidia_uvm module was removed from the v.390 Nvidia driver for kernel 5.10.
At least, I cannot find it in /lib/modules/$(uname -r) for the 5.10 kernel:

ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/extramodules/*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    23959  7. Jan 20:36 /lib/modules/5.10.5-1-MANJARO/extramodules/nvidia-drm.ko.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10089518  7. Jan 20:36 /lib/modules/5.10.5-1-MANJARO/extramodules/nvidia.ko.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   494524  7. Jan 20:36 /lib/modules/5.10.5-1-MANJARO/extramodules/nvidia-modeset.ko.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root       17  6. Jan 17:11 /lib/modules/5.10.5-1-MANJARO/extramodules/version

For kernel 5.9, the nvidia_uvm module appears to be still present:

ls -l /lib/modules/5.9.16-1-MANJARO/extramodules/*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    25651  7. Jan 20:42 /lib/modules/5.9.16-1-MANJARO/extramodules/nvidia-drm.ko.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10089914  7. Jan 20:42 /lib/modules/5.9.16-1-MANJARO/extramodules/nvidia.ko.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   495644  7. Jan 20:42 /lib/modules/5.9.16-1-MANJARO/extramodules/nvidia-modeset.ko.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   412569  7. Jan 20:42 /lib/modules/5.9.16-1-MANJARO/extramodules/nvidia-uvm.ko.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root       17 21. Dez 22:59 /lib/modules/5.9.16-1-MANJARO/extramodules/version

Is this intended or did I do something wrong while installing the 5.10 kernel?

It was removed by the team, I just don’t know why.

Really unhappy with how this was handled.

I use Manjaro to get some more life out of an old laptop. I have to run Nvidia 340 drivers due to the free drivers never recovering from sleep on my system.

Hitting update uninstalled the drivers and broke my system with no confirmation beforehand and no ability to reinstall them. This isn’t what I expect from “stable”.

Dropping support for old drivers from new kernel revisions where they don’t work is fine. Removing them from a running system set to stable on an LTS kernel without any confirmation isn’'t.

3 Likes

nvidia_uvm kernel module

Meanwhile, I found some more information here: Projects · Packages / Extra / linux510-extramodules / nvidia-390xx · GitLab :

FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module nvidia-uvm.ko uses GPL-only symbol 'radix_tree_preloads'

Looks like some licensing issue was encountered. Strange enough: Wasn’t that already present in kernel 5.9?

I’m sorry if I’m bursting your bubble, but if you read the update announcement, you’d have known what to expect. I was a fool myself, thinking this kind of thing isn’t neccassry.

This time I read it, so I knew what to expect. I did everything necessary before my restart and I had absolutely no problems whatsoever.

It only occurs with version 390.138 of the driver, version 390.141 does not present this problem.

1 Like

I am using Manjaro with a Lenovo T410 that has an onboard GT218M. With the drop of the 340xx driver the latest update has broken my xorg desktop. I switched to the nouveau driver to revive my desktop, but this causes freezes randomly. Furthermore with the nouveau driver the performance is not sufficient to play even Minecraft (which also freezes randomly).
Long story short: I need to stick with the 340xx driver, because I cannot switch to another GPU and I do not want to turn my T410 into a brick.
Please bring back the native support for the 340xx driver.

1 Like

However AMD is not offering full support either to their cards.

You can’t use a lot of features that your card offer to get your work done, on video editing or another common tasks.

GPU companies are not Linux friendly…

So… you can have the latest AMD GPU but sadly you can’t use all that power, you will have a discrete GPU on Linux… … … …

It did not work for me. Before performing the update I wanted to switch to an LTS kernel and install 340xx manually but as soon as I invoked mhwd, it upgraded itself, forcibly removed all the nvidia drivers and installed nouveau, breaking my system. It was infuriating.

2 Likes

I can only imagine. The key is not to restart until everything is installed. I upgraded my kernel as well as switch the nvidia drivers successfully before restarting.

Yeah, it could’ve been bad. I almost crapped myself when I had to reboot. But it worked.

1 Like

it’s annoying that this became par for the course for anyone using ‘-latest’ packages or use the mhwd to do anything when using the manjaro repo. every update they roll the kernel before the driver (maybe it’s just us legacy users idk) and of course they tell you it’s the “recommended” way of doing things. if i need to keep time on the driver date manually anyway these packages and the manjaro hardware manager are useless.

now to be fair you’re experiencing this on stable and according to this announcement they drop legacy drivers so it could be that the update will never be shipped to the manjaro repos ever. (though if you already make a hardware manager, at least make it inform you about it before the kernel upgrade)

in anycase, i’m moving to installing manually; i’m done with these kind of packages, if they don’t update in synergy anyways.

There’s quite a lot of activity going on among the Arch folks: nvidia-390xx AUR package discussion thread / AUR Issues, Discussion & PKGBUILD Requests / Arch Linux Forums - I assume that there will at least be something useful in the AUR.

1 Like

I’m more worried about this

AD NVIDIA Windows/Linux Graphics Drivers Hit By A Series Of Security Vulnerabilities

And why is Manjaro again the only OS that has not released/updated to the new Drivers, So Security does not matter?, And don’t give me it’s in the Testing branch, It should be in all Branches as it’s a Security Vulnerabilitie.

If you are thar concerned there’s nothing stopping you switching to the stable branch. I’m sure the team will get it to stable pretty soon

checking in Testing

inux510-nvidia 460.32.03-4 (linux510-extramodules)
NVIDIA drivers for linux.

I know that, But i’m on stable and want to know why something like a Security Vulnerabilitie issue is not on stable as it should be, like all other Linux Distros, i have so much stuff installed on my home drive that i really don’t want to change my Distro, But after the last few updates breaking something and now Security Vulnerabilities not getting done in a timely manor i may have no choice.

I updated with pacman and my system was broken , thanks to timeshift I restored from a restore point. So better to keep th legacy drivers.

It’s allreddy decided…

And I have to do it. myself as well.
Because I have a Nvidia GTX 1070.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your point, but the GTX 1070 is supported by the latest NVIDIA driver.