Drivers removed

KDE has Steam pre-installed.

Yes, and? Many distributions offer Steam. And for those with AMD graphics or a more modern Nvidia GPU, gaming will be smooth.

So a 4 year old GTX 1050TI is classed as not modern?

Did you read the link I posted higher up (as part of the post I linked to)? It explains why the support for older drivers was dropped. In short: it is very hard if not impossible to get them to compile against recent kernels. :arrow_down:

See if this trick below can help you… :arrow_down:

See My switch to the 5.10 kernel with update 2020-12-30, how i did use that actually…
It just needed some fiddling, although i updated from before the latest update instead of a fresh install…

Thank you so much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

Evidently a 2 year old NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 Max-Q 4GB GDDR5 is also now considered legacy? This is a crappy move.

1 Like

i hope there will be a solution to use nvidia-drivers soon. nouveau is no alternative, especially if you use prime combinations of nvidia-intel at laptops. i don’t blame the linux-community because this trouble is caused by nvidia in first.

2 Likes

According to nvidia Website your card is compatible with the 456 drivers

So it should be supported by the current nvidia drivers on manjaro as they are only at 455 atm

1 Like

But Manjaro does not use drivers meant for Windows 10
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/166883/en-us

Yes but the GTX1650 is still supported in the 455 driver’s and will probably still be supported in the 456 when they drop

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/166177/en-us

I went from being a newbie linux user who recently discovered the “Simplicity” of Manjaro, enjoyed a few weeks of carefree use then all of a sudden it became the opposite of simplicity. It’s been a total hassle the last few days. A 4 year old Graphics card still supported with the newest drivers by nvidia is now considered legacy by Manjaro. So I’m supposed to get a new card; change to AMD? Just so Manjaro is useable? I’m out.

No, it’s not. Manjaro doesn’t create the GNU/Linux Nvidia drivers. The drivers are published by Nvidia themselves and are proprietary. We can only offer what they are offering themselves.

Besides, had you bothered to look around on the forum, then you would have seen that @philm has provided instructions on how to get the drivers to work in Manjaro.

I will leave it to you as an exercise to look for @philm’s thread.

3 Likes

GTX1050 is certainly not considered legacy by Manjaro, don’t post trash please.

1 Like

Why assume I haven’t bothered to look around the forum. It’s all I’ve done for a few days. How totally patronising.
I’m a relative novice with Linux and this has not been easy for me to follow or fix.

If that were true, then you wouldn’t have posted this:arrow_down:

1 Like

Well forgive my terminology but this is what I was told earlier [quote=“Aragorn, post:6, topic:45452”]
And for those with AMD graphics or a more modern Nvidia GPU, gaming will be smooth.
[/quote]
Okay so legacy was the wrong description of me to use. But I don’t know why I’m being called a liar here.

this problem will affect all distros because it’s the poor support of nvidia.

1 Like