Download folder is disappeared

I’m using manjaro KDE. Suddenly Dowloads folder is disappeared. It says “The file or folder /home/suzh/Downloads does not exist.”

mkdir  ~/Downloads
1 Like

I had files in the download folder. it is also disappeared

Then you must have butterfingered somewhere. The best you can do is check your Trash folder to see if it’s still in there. If not, then I’m afraid you’re out of luck, unless you’ve made a backup.

3 Likes

In /home/suzh/.config/user-dirs.dirs it shows

# This file is written by xdg-user-dirs-update
# If you want to change or add directories, just edit the line you're
# interested in. All local changes will be retained on the next run.
# Format is XDG_xxx_DIR="$HOME/yyy", where yyy is a shell-escaped
# homedir-relative path, or XDG_xxx_DIR="/yyy", where /yyy is an
# absolute path. No other format is supported.
# 
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/"
XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/Templates"
XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/Public"
XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documents"
XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/Music"
XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Pictures"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/Videos"

And? What does that have anything to do with it? You’ve accidentally deleted the folder and everything inside of it.

Just check your Trash, and if it’s not in there, then simply recreate it manually with the command I gave you. It’s not rocket science. :wink:

2 Likes

Oky, But I’m sure I didn’t delete any thing. I checked in the trash there is no files that is in the Downloads folder. I recently add mega drive for backup purpose may it caused the trouble :melting_face:

Hmm… And where is this volume mounted?

1 Like

Did you change that setting? The default is

XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Downloads"
3 Likes

I mount it with other hard disk which i use it for storage purpose. but i created a short cut of the folder ( which i sync in mega drive) in my Downloads directory

i didn’t change it. I red a post regarding my problem in there i find about this /home/suzh/.config/user-dirs.dirs

Maybe you are lucky in your unluckiness as the Germans say…and the Mega drive is just mounted with the same name and effectively hides your downloads (that of course means, you have used some installation script made by a very stupid developer, not thinking about this…or you yourself entered this as a mount path…)
In any case, just unmount and see. Either rename your old downloads if you want to mount mega there, or in the mega install script change the mountpoint, making another folder like Downloads_mega beforehand.

2 Likes

Have you logged into Mega via your browser to see if your files are there?

Otherwise, you might have some success with Disk Drill for Linux, which can recover deleted files on Linux filesystems, if they exist.

Good luck.

1 Like

oky, i’ll try :melting_face:

oky, I’ll try :melting_face:

how to change this to default ?

I think you already answered your own question:

Edit the line in /home/suzh/.config/user-dirs.dirs and change it back to XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Downloads".

2 Likes

I think Disk drill is not available for linux

“Linux Data Recovery Software” from the link I gave you suggests otherwise.

Edit:- However, there doesn’t seem to be any mention of a Linux version beyond that title itself. It’s a little deceptive, but it seems what they mean is: ‘supports data recovery of Linux drives, such as EXT3 and EXT4’ only if you access those filesystems from another OS.

Not much use in your case, I suppose. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

If not in trash, it’s also possible that you accidentally moved it. I assume you searched your entire home folder?

I mention this because it happened to me once (a folder was selected when I selected another folder to be moved, so both got moved), not with the Downloads folder but a different one, but same thing applies.

3 Likes