Dolphin as root under Wayland?

Hi everybody,

is there a way to copy files (from /home folder) or edit configuration files in a file system folder (like /usr/share/ ; /etc/ ; …) with the help of dolphin ?
I don’t want to use line command to do that.

Is there a way to use Dolphin as root under Wayland ?

Thanks.

1 Like

Running dolphin as root takes a lot of effort as gui… Just install thunar or pcmanqt and run as root

There is no need to run Dolphin as root. You should normally have the dolphin-plugins package installed, which allows you to perform root actions from within Dolphin by way of the right-click popup menu.

Also, KWrite and Kate are both policykit-aware and will ask you for the root password when trying to save a file to a directory that your regular user account has no write access to.

Does this work? Dolphin plugins have never workes for me.

1 Like

They do for me.

1 Like

Hmm…im just really stupid, just realised i never had it installed. Ignore my stupidity thank you

1 Like

For now, I’m testing wayland with kde plasma 5.20.1 and dolphin. You know that under Wayland using root access is not easy. Is your tip can be used under Wayland ?

Thanks.

Well, why don’t you try it and see? :slight_smile: I don’t use Wayland. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Ok, I will try. :wink:

Note: Ok, I can edit and modify configuration files with root privileges under wayland with the help of Dolphin. But I can’t copy a file to a file system folder under wayland (for example : copy a wallpaper.jpg to /usr/share/wallpapers folder) with the help of Dolphin.

1 Like

Does it work

see my note above.

Thanks for your information. Im pretty its the same thing in x-org

Just for the record, there is no need for you to put your wallpapers under /usr. You can set wallpapers from a local directory under your $HOME just the same. They’ll be transparently added to the wallpaper selection for your user account.

1 Like

It was an example. But sometimes I need to copy a file in a root folder of the system. That’s why I need a gui root access. I know it can be risked but I know what I do. Under X11/xorg it is easy, but under Wayland it is more complicated (because Wayland is more restrictive with the gui root access). Furthermore, I don’t want to use line command each time.

For editing file configuration in root folder, there is no problem. I tried with kate editor. It works under Wayland.

1 Like

Famous last words! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Hi guys,

well, I found a solution (script) to use dolphin as root on Wayland. :blush:

I need to test the script but if it works I will post the solution here. :wink:

Regards.

Hi guys,

Ok, I found the solution to make dolphin as root work under Wayland. It is work very well.

For those who are interested, here is the tip:

1. Create the ~/.local/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/ folder if it doesn’t exist (to use for only the user). If you want to use for everybody, then look at /usr/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/ (the folder exists).

2. In it, create a DolphinAsRootWayland.desktop file (with Kate). Edit this file and add the following lines:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Service
X-KDE-ServiceTypes=KonqPopupMenu/Plugin
MimeType=inode/directory;
Actions=OpenDolphinAsRoot;
X-KDE-AuthorizeAction=shell_access
//
[Desktop Action OpenDolphinAsRoot]
Name=Open Dolphin as Root (Wayland)
TryExec=pkexec
Exec=sh -c “xhost +si:localuser:root && pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dbus-launch dolphin %U && xhost -si:localuser:root”
Icon=folder-red

Note: You can change the Name line as you want.

1. Save and then logout. Login again.

2. Right-click on a root folder -> Actions -> Open Dolphin as Root (Wayland).

3. Enjoy !!!

Note: Be careful !!! You’ve got root access in graphical, if you make an error you can’t go back.

Regards.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.