Display manager doesn't start after newest Manjaro update

As far as i can tell

Please neither create duplicate threads nor private message anyone for help. You already have this topic open.

Please review the Forum Rules

Big brother is watching us :innocent:

This sounds a little like there was another Kernel present?

Try to remove it again, when its still there:

pacman -R linux65

Yes. When i mhwd-Kernel -li it says its “Currently running: 6.6.19-1-MANJARO (linux66)
the following kernels are installed in your system:
*Linux 419
*Linux66”

When I sudo pacman -R linux65 it said “error: target not found l: linux65”

The correct instructions for completely removing Plymouth can be found at the Plymouth Manjaro Wiki article, under the heading of REMOVAL.

This should help if your previous endeavours have failed. Cheers.

2 Likes

Did you try booting this Kernel yet? If there is no success, i would Remove it.

I followed this guide but when i input “sudo pacman -Rsn plymouth plymouth-theme-manjaro” it said:
checking dependencies. . .
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
: : removing plymouth breaks dependency ‘plymouth’ required by plymouth-kcm

Any ideas on where I went wrong? I supplemented the guide with Plymouth - Manjaro too. :disappointed:

plymouth-kcm

Try;

sudo pacman -R plymouth-theme-manjaro
sudo pacman -R plymouth-kcm
sudo pacman -R plymouth

…one at a time, in that order. Cheers.

1 Like

That definitely removed plymouth and its themes, thank you so much!

after removing plymouth, these are the lines that hang on my monitor instead of the log in screen:

[ OK ] Finished Permit User Sessions.
[ OK ] Started CUPS Scheduler.
[ OK ] Started Command scheduler.
[ OK ] Reached target Multi-User System.
[ OK ]Started Simple Deskt0p Display Manager.
[ OK ] Reached target Graphical Interface.

I don’t have plymouth, got the linux66 kernel and added nvidia_drm.modeset=1 nvidia_drm.fbdev=1 to the grub command line… what could possibly be the reason I can’t get to my desktop? I booted into live environment just fine :thinking:

Try to switch to TTY7 with ctrl+alt+F7, if there is your sddm.

1 Like

When still no success remove quiet from grub also.

“[ OK ] Reached target Graphical Interface.”

The only time I have seen this on Nvidia is when I forgot to (re)install Nvidia drivers, in DKMS mode.

1 Like

It should be expected to now see that and/or other text on screen during boot after having removed Plymouth; without Plymouth the text is no longer hidden from view. Now you are able to see the status of everything being loaded during boot, along with any errors if they happen to occur.

If your machine now boots without errors, then you have nothing to be concerned about. “[OK] … etc” does not indicate an error, though there may be short periods where text does not appear to move.

If it does actually “hang”, then your problem is with something else. Provide some logs so that others can help further, in that case. If you don’t know how to do that, I don’t have the time currently; nor the inclination to walk you through it. Someone else might post a few helpful links, though. Good luck.

1 Like