Disappearing Close (x) Button in Title Bar

Hi, I have a strange issue in KDE Plasma:

When I go full-screen in an application, buttons on the titlebar are vanished after returning to window mode.
For QT/KDE Applications (Kate with F11, smplayer) the close button disappears.
For Firefox (with F11) the collapse to titlebar button disappears.

I can reproduce this each time and I have this already since a couple of Plasma updates (can’t tell when it started). Can anyone reproduce it?

I’ve already reset my titlebar configuration (although it was default anyways), but to no avail.

TIA

System info
System:
    Kernel: 5.18.5-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64
    Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.24.5 Distro: Manjaro Linux
CPU:
  Info: quad core model: AMD A12-9800 RADEON R7 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G
    bits: 64 type: MT MCP cache: L2: 2 MiB
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Wani [Radeon R5/R6/R7 Graphics] driver: amdgpu v: kernel
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.3 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu
    gpu: amdgpu resolution: 2560x1440
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD CARRIZO (LLVM 13.0.1 DRM 3.46 5.18.5-1-MANJARO)
    v: 4.6 Mesa 22.1.1
Audio:
  Device-1: AMD Kabini HDMI/DP Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
  Device-2: AMD Family 15h Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.18.5-1-MANJARO running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 16.0 running: yes
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.52 running: yes

EDIT:
Happens only with custom titlebar configuration, default configuration has no issues.

yes same here… noticed it with okular and gwenview

I had some strange bugs maybe a year or so back with KDE.

My suggestion would be to make sure you have good backups and snapshots, then just do a fresh install and build it clean - importing only the configurations and files that you need, as and when you need them.

Actually, before you go that far, create a new user called TEST and see if that user has the same issues you do… If TEST doesn’t have the issue, then just delete everything in your /home folder except personal files (all KDE and .configs) and see how that goes - you can easily copy back from your Timeshift and Backup snapshots.

I have not experienced this, so it depends on some configuration :thinking:
I see you’re on Stable, while I’m on Unstable.

Are you using a custom theme? I cannot reproduce, I am using the standard Breeze window decoration, however I am on Manjaro unstable so I’m using:
KDE Plasma Version: 5.25.0
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.95.0
Qt Version: 5.15.4

No such issue here on KDE x11 stable.

Have you looked for error messages?

Ok, I have to correct myself. I checked under another user - which doesn’t have the problem - and I found out I am not running the default titlebar configuration (pretty sure I checked this before…).

So when I set the default titlebar configuration I don’t have any issues. However once I add two buttons (see screenshot below) the problem (re-)appears.

Can you guys reproduce this behavior?
TIA

PS:
Running default dark breeze theme otherwise.

yes can reproduce, i had added one button to the title bar, issue appears… it doesnt appear however if i remove any default button

Can’t reproduce in my case with Plasma 5.25 from unstable branch. F11 works nice as tested with Kate, Konsole, Okular.

Above also happens. That’s mabye because GTK apps are not so much designed for that feature.

Ok, Thanks for testing guys!

I wait till Plasma 5.25 hits stable and if it persists I will open a report on bko.

Issue has been fixed with Plasma 5.25.

System:
  Kernel: 5.18.19-3-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64
    Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.25.5 Distro: Manjaro Linux
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.