Disabled touchpad while typing -xfce -xinput -startup

Good day,

I have 2 new laptops which I have installed Manjaro XFCE and I use xinput commands to allow touchpad to be used while typing for gaming, however trying to create a script to run at startup is beyond my Linux capabilities and my Google/search skills are lacking as I can’t find a dummed down enough forum post to teach me, essentially what I want to happen is for the following command to activate on startup, or a different way to achieve the same effect on startup.

Based on instructions from this post: [HowTo] Enable Touchpad While Typing In Manjaro Xfce

“[setayo@Majaro-F7S ~]$ xinput set-prop 9 337 0”
xinput prop 9 is my touchpad, 337 is the disable while typing argument.

338 is the default for disable while typing, however when I try to edit that even as sudo comes up with an error.

“[setayo@Majaro-F7S ~]$ sudo xinput set-prop 9 338 0
[sudo] password for setayo:
X Error of failed request: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
Major opcode of failed request: 131 (XInputExtension)
Minor opcode of failed request: 57 ()
Serial number of failed request: 20
Current serial number in output stream: 21”

Even if I try sudo su it will come up with the same result.

[setayo@SamsungS9 ~]$ xinput set-prop 11 320 0

[setayo@SamsungS9 ~]$ sudo su
[SamsungS9 setayo]# xinput set-prop 11 321 0
X Error of failed request: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
Major opcode of failed request: 131 (XInputExtension)
Minor opcode of failed request: 57 ()
Serial number of failed request: 20
Current serial number in output stream: 21

I was really over complicating my own issue, the answer is to take the command “xinput set-prop ID ARG OPT” and type it into the “session and startup” application as a startup application, screenshots attached to demonstrate what I’m trying to explain.

To find what ID and the appropriate ARG then the guide linked explains it perfectly. (installing xorg-xinput > command “xinput” will display ID’s and then “xinput list-props” will display the ARG values you can use)

You will notice I have 2 separate commands, this is because sometimes the touchpad will load in a different order, so far I’ve only had 2 variations, but I am adding them on a case by case basis, if anyone has a more elegant solution then feel free to contribute.

Screenshot_2021-12-16_12-30-45

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.