Difference between pamac install and pamac build

First time posting, I hope tags are right and topic is not a duplicate.

I am kinda new to Manjaro and I decided to stick on pamac as package manager but there something I don’t fully understand as this post title says. What is the difference between ‘install’ and ‘build’ commands? I read about them and I decided to test them at an AUR package but both commands seem identical to me.

So… I’m thankful with any explanation.

1 Like

Pamac is a swiss army knife - package manager - as it supports a variety of package formats and installations.

1. install fetches a package from the official repo
  2. build creates a custom package using instructions pulled from Arch User Repository (short AUR).

Only the first - the install command - is supported as this installs packages from Manjaro repo.

The results of the build command is unsupported - read below to learn why

When you use pamac to install packages from other sources than the official - those formats are unsupported - snap, flatpak and appimage - as those are designed to be self contained and therefore the system has no say in how they work - any errors or problems must be reported to the developer(s) of the package.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.