Developing (Manjaro ISO Action)

I am using github for my project now I have made my first release it works. but I am wondering with the iso-profiles how might one make a custom theme & wallpaper for the live iso file. I have figured out adding my own custom apps already and it fully works. (I have used linux for a long time but am new to the whole custom installer thing.) Please go easy on me I know I am a noob! xD
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum section.

I know arch repo is not included by default as well is it possible to have it included in the live ISO? as there is a software id like it to auto include such as plex media server

Would I just do >extra plex-media-server or is it more complicated?

Mixing Manjaro repository with Arch is bad idea. Of course you can use the unstable branch to be closer to Arch releases … But then

is an AUR package. For that you can consult this Build Manjaro ISOs with buildiso - Manjaro

1 Like

you can always install them manually after installing the manjaro ISO

PS: beware that calamares is broken and the ISO is wasted.

I build it without any issues using the CI github builder

Anyone? Bump

The problem with Calamares in testing branch is solved by now. There was the update of KDE Gear 22.04 which provides kpmcore. A rebuild fixed that.

Now regarding creating your own ISO. I made a video on how I briefly explained on how github CI can be used. Out of that we created the Action to simplify the process.

Back then the content of the Github Action was part of the CI file. If the process gets updated the video is outdated, partly. But since you found out already about the action you already adopted to the new changes.

So some want to simply add new packages to the ISO. Well this can be done by forking the iso-profiles and modify them. Also the action needs to know that you use a custom iso-profiles repo. An example of that would be found in manjaro-sway.

Since they use their own additional packages you may ask them on how they integrate those. Our look and feel on KDE is defined here: Profiles & Settings / manjaro-kde-settings · GitLab So basically you need to make yourself familiar on how to change and modify KDE Plasma and then on how to create a settings package with your own changes.

Look into the spins section and ask around there on how they modified Manjaro ISOs. Most likely the maintainers might help out.

3 Likes

Thanks for the response i will look into that as well. I appreciate the time you took to respond as for the video thats how I officially started my own iso. But i will look into what you said and do some more research myself. As for custom wallpaper would i include that in the profile?

You are welcome to use one of my packages as a starting point.

The repo I suggest you try is GitHub - fhdk/lxqt-kwin

It contains the sources and the PKGBUILD so you don’t have to fiddle with git or source archives.

Hey thanks for the information ill do some researching into your git and have a look! looks promising so far! I appreciate the advice!

Would this be based on KDE?

It is lxqt using kwin instead of openbox

it is the same settings which is used for the lxqt-kwin community edition.

1 Like

Ill check it out thanks for the information :slight_smile:

Am I able to build an ISO with this? or is it just a out of the box installer? with setup.sh also returned this error systemctl enable firewalld install: missing destination file operand after firewalld

`

Not without creating an online repo as described on wiki.

The setup.sh is only a convenience script when I setup a new system so I don’t have to type all the commads. I use the script on a base Manjaro or Arch installation.

The script is not required by the package. Do not run it on an existing installation as files may be overwritten.

If you create a package using chrootbuild (preferred) you can create an online repo - add the package to the repo (repo-add) and include the online repo in ypur profile.conf.

Add the package to your Packages-Desktop file to include it in your final ISO.

REMEMBER - do not add files to your desktop-overlay which also exist in your package - buildiso will fail on duplicate files. Just like an update may throw an message on conflicting file and abort the sync.

Checked out the setup.sh file and it tells me a username is mssing not sure

That is because it is a convenience script - it requires a valid username as first argument because it creates the user - which is why you should only use it on a new install.