Delete old root partition?

Can I just delete it in the partition manger or do I have to edit files after I do it

What do you mean by “files”? Files on that root partition?

What do you want to achieve with this operation?

I had to reinstall, new MB. If I just delete it in KDE Partition manger that is all I have to do right (I meant edit anything when I said edit files).

If the UUID (or, possibly, label) for the partition doesn’t exist in /etc/fstab or /etc/default/grub you should be OK.

1 Like

You are going to reinstall and you want to prepare that, right?
Keep your home folder?

It is really, really unclear what you are asking about.

It may be difficult for you to express it clearly.

But:
we do not know what you mean
and can’t give defintive advice based upon what we think
because we don’t know your actual situation

2 Likes

Oh sorry, this is a reinstall. The old partition did not boot, even fail safe.

Maybe you just have to reinstall Grub?

Oh sorry, this is a reinstall. The old partition did not boot, even fail safe.

Well, a blue/green screen comes up li it is going into KDE & that is it. Not sure if that is not booting up or DE has a prob.

Deleting and recreating the partition deletes the files, you can consider them gone, since it takes data forensics to attempt to recover any of it.

But even simpler, I would just just create a new file system on top on it when it’s not mounted. For example: mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1 or mkfs.btrfs /dev/nvme0n1p2, etc. The “GUI”, so Gparted or the Calarmas installer? Both of those can do this as well, to me at least, more awkwardly.

If you want to troubleshoot further, try booting to single user or rescue mode. Boot with the kernel parameters systemd.unit=rescue.target. This is the old way of run level 1, or single user mode. You can move up to systemctl isolate multi-user.target if the previous works, and systemctl isolate graphical.target (the default on boot which fails for you).

@moderators

This thread has been resolved in:

Note that there are other threads (from @Edward78 ) that also lead to this final conclusion. Perhaps some clever merging is in order.

Cheers.

3 Likes