Kcm-grub2, no download in pacman

I Have a old none bootable root, I was wanting to take that out of grub & I found out there is a module for KDE I put it in search in pacman, no results. It is called that right?

I don’t know what it is, but I’m sure you probably should not install something messing with GRUB, especially if it is not provided in the repositories. Especially for you, regarding the posts you made that I have read.

It’s in the AUR if you want to have a go at destroying something in your system (again?).

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/kcm-grub2-git

2 Likes

So if I erase the date with the KDE partition manager will it edit grub & take that entry out. Or can I just open in with kate as root user? I know more than my posts make me out to be. I started with SuSE 8.1 a lkong time ago.

The old partition is on another disk, right?

You could likely do that; perhaps using GParted instead, if you have it. In theory you could then update grub, and on the next reboot the old entry would be gone. Grub, or, I should say, os-prober will not autodetect an installation if it doesn’t exist.

Nonetheless, be very careful with your choices.

Cheers.

On the same disk.

Well, the same principle applies. Just make sure you wipe the correct partition. :slight_smile:

GRUB2 Editor - KDE Store it seems safe.

I’ve never used it, but I believe it has a fair reputation, as most KDE software does. It only seems to be available from the AUR (for Arch/Manjaro), so I’d probably still recommend caution. KDE isn’t maintaining this version.

Ya, I want to stay away from AUR software. So how can I edit the grub cofig in KDE. I can open with Kate, but I need to do that as SUDO.

Not necessary, and not recommended either. Just open it with kate, and kate will prompt you for your password when saving.

2 Likes

Os-prober detects an OS/bootloader automatically. I don’t know if the kcm-grub2 editor can do more than superficial edits, but it’s probably your best bet. All I can suggest is try it and see. I did say take caution, but looking again, the main issue seems to be that it’s slow in being updated.

I suppose you could just uninstall it after you’ve done what you need to do.

Grub.cfg is the right file or grubmenu?

That would be /boot/grub/grub.cfg. But as mentioned already, if you have os_prober running — check your /etc/default/grub — then it should detect that the partition is gone, and will update your GRUB menu when you run… :point_down:

sudo update-grub

When I try to open grub.cfg I getThe file /boot/grub/grub.cfg could not be loaded, as it was not possible to read from it.
Check if you have read access to this file.

Don’t edit this manually…

Just do as you asked about earlier:

• Format the partition (for example as ext4)
  • Run sudo update-grub
  • Reboot.

It doesn’t get much easier than that.

I believe OS-Prober is enabled by default in recent KDE versions, so you shouldn’t need to worry about that. But, just in case… check that it’s enabled in /etc/default/grub, as @Aragorn mentioned.

Look for a line that contains GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false and make sure it’s uncommented.

2 Likes

No, it’s disabled by default nowadays because of the security implications.

I just need to delete the data & convert to xfat so windows can also read ir. KDE partition manager does both right?

If you reformat or delete the partition, then the data will be gone.

It should do. If you have Gparted, that might be a little easier to use, but either should do what you need.

Yes, that’s generally true (since Grub2.06, or similar); os-prober mounts all partitions as root; anyone with their backside in your chair could potentially exploit it. That said, it’s been enabled by default (KDE) for the last few iterations - I haven’t needed to enable it even once over the course of setting up multiboot VM’s in recent weeks (23.1.3-240113 ISO).

Gparted is not dark mode, because of brightness sensitivity I have to use dark mode &
sudo update-grub will still update will start the parser anyway I woud think