Daily freezes since the last update? Disable Extensions

Hello all. I have experienced daily random freezes since the last update. I am using stable Gnome 40.1.0 apps with the 3.38 shell on Xorg. Under the hood I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3400G/Picasso using the amdgpu driver. I am using the 5.10.36-2-MANJARO kernel. Realising we in the midst of a transition, I disabled extensions. I have not experienced any freezing since I have disabled extensions. Until the transition ends and I can turn extensions back on, I think I will use keyboard shortcuts to get around.

Trace the offending extension via: “Qjournalctl” - a graphic log viewer for systemd.

Hey I was having the same problem with the same processor, kernel 5.12 fixed the problem for me. If that doesn’t work you can try adding amdgpu.noretry=0 to your grub file (etc/default/grub at the end of the line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" default text amdgpu.noretry=0" then in console: sudo update-grub and restart). It happened to me in kde too btw so I’m not sure if gnome is the problem.

2 Likes

Thank you for that information I will give it a try. However, since turning off extensions I have not experienced any freezing. Its also worth mentioning that these freezes are not happening to my Manjaro install running on an intel i5 cpu/gpu.

I experienced daily random freezes since the last update. I am using stable Gnome 40.1.0 apps with the 3.38 shell on Xorg. Under the hood I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3400G/Picasso using the amdgpu driver on the 5.10.36-2-MANJARO kernel. @Orognad helped me solve the problem. They suggested:

adding amdgpu.noretry=0 to your grub file (etc/default/grub at the end of the line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" default text amdgpu.noretry=0" then in console: sudo update-grub and restart).

@Orognad’s reply

I did as they suggested, turned on a few extensions and I have not experienced a freeze. :wink:

However the Gnome Pomodoro extension does not work smoothly, so I have turned it off. Thank you for everyone’s suggestions and help.

I did experience a freeze using the hot corner but an ALT + F2 prompt and entering “r” restarted the shell, something I was unable to do prior to the fix.

Unfortunately a day without freezing did not indicate a fix. I do not have daily freezes after @Orognad’s suggestion, it helped a lot. However when I use the activities function there is a slight freeze. It is fixed with a Alt + F2 then “r” shell restart. I ran Dash to Dock, User Themes and Workplace Indicator extensions at the time. I have again disabled all extensions and my workflow is smooth. Until the 40 shell transition is complete I will probably keep extensions off and use only keyboard shortcuts. :keyboard:

I’m glad it is working fine now! Have you tried using xorg instead of wayland? I have lag spikes on wayland and the only extension I use is dash to dock.I changed to xorg and feels smoother.

I am on X11 I believe, output from…

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
x11
How do I really check if I am using Xorg or Wayland? When I log in my only 2 choices are Gnome or Classic Gnome, I usually use Gnome.

Yes you are using xorg. you could try switching to wayland, in the layouts options, in the settings tab " wayland session" if it is disabled you could try enabling it and see what happens. Or just wait, they are working on gnome 40 so maybe that will fix your problems completely.

Thank you for all of your help. I think I will wait for the 40 shell to come out. I don’t really mind having extensions on or off. Having extensions off almost feels like using openbox (which I like for my low spec machines). I am testing the freeze (:snowflake:) as I have open weather, user themes and dash to dock back on, we will see what happens. :smirk:

Cheers Mate

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.