Connect Canon DSLR Camera to Manjaro to import photos

I have a Canon M50 mark II and want to access its photos. The official EOS utility is not available for Linux. Thus I tried to access them using the USB cable. However, no removable storage shows up for my device as I connect it. I have installed gphoto2, but that is not working. Is there any way to directly import the photos from my camera into my laptop?

I am using the latest Manjaro KDE stable.

What does show up when the camera is being connected?
and disconnected …
What does the OS see when a USB connection is made?

seeing that could be helpful

two ways to gather this info:

open a terminal and issue
journalctl -f

and/or:
open a terminal and issue
sudo dmesg -w

Watch the output as you connect/disconnect the camera.

The easiest option could be:
take out the SD-card, put it into an Adapter and use the SD-card reader which is present on most laptops - or an USB adapter if there is no such slot.

1 Like
Dec 13 22:15:02 arghya-manjaro rtkit-daemon[796]: Supervising 11 threads of 7 processes of 1 users.
Dec 13 22:15:02 arghya-manjaro rtkit-daemon[796]: Supervising 11 threads of 7 processes of 1 users.
Dec 13 22:15:49 arghya-manjaro wpa_supplicant[594]: wlo1: CTRL-EVENT-SIGNAL-CHANGE above=1 signal=-62 noise=9999 txrate=39000
Dec 13 22:15:58 arghya-manjaro wpa_supplicant[594]: wlo1: CTRL-EVENT-SIGNAL-CHANGE above=0 signal=-62 noise=9999 txrate=39000
Dec 13 22:16:40 arghya-manjaro wpa_supplicant[594]: wlo1: CTRL-EVENT-SIGNAL-CHANGE above=1 signal=-61 noise=9999 txrate=39000
Dec 13 22:17:09 arghya-manjaro wpa_supplicant[594]: wlo1: CTRL-EVENT-SIGNAL-CHANGE above=0 signal=-63 noise=9999 txrate=39000

No output in sudo dmesg -w.

I can do that but in long run, this is not a good option as there are cases of damaged port in camera. If I can at least access the camera as a drive, it will suffice for me.

It looks like the system does not see
anything
when you connect the camera.
Nothing at all - no reaction.

I’d suggest to make sure that the cable used is a good one.

No reaction at all - the system does not see anything - and thus can not react to that non existent event.

ps:

that command expects/asks for your password - only then will it show you something
… not possible that this command returns nothing!
I’m positive (very sure) about that.

Is libgphoto2 installed?

Have you tried a different cable/different port? If using a hub try connecting directly to a port on the computer.

In addition to the above, ensure that the camera is set to the correct mode. No, I can’t tell you more, as I don’t know anything more.

No, no, there is some output. But as I connect the camera, nothing additional is coming to it. I mean, connecting/disconnecting the camera is not affecting it.

so:
the system does not see anything
when you connect the camera

thus it cannot react and do … something

power on the cam
correct mode (I don’t know what that might be)
known good cable, known good USB ports

nothing more I can say, presently

Yes, libgphoto2 is installed. Also, I am using the laptop port. When I connect the camera, I cannot access the photos in the camera, which is usual. But there is no response on the laptop.

Take a peek here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GPhoto#Frontend_applications
e.g. gphoto2 --auto-detect

… which is usual?

You mean it used to work, but now it does not anymore?

If the system does not “see” anything when you connect the device
it will, of course, do nothing …

If the camera detects that it has been connected to a laptop, it automatically disables photo browsing options in the camera so that one can access the photos in the laptop. My camera is doing that. That is, my camera detects that it has been connected to a laptop. But my laptop is unable to detect the camera.

@args

+1 to Nachlese’s post.

I had Canon DSLR, Nikon DSLR, took thousands of photos, always used a USB adapter and never saw damages to a SD card or the camera port. With a camera using CompactFlash cards I would say the opposite, but with SD an adapter I think is the better way and something always works.

Remember to disconnect wifi before connecting the cable. With active wifi the camera doesn’t connect via cable.

And once you are connected, you can use this:

If this camera is Canon EOS M50, It is listed as supported:
http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php

That is all fine and good - but we don’t know how the camera detects that.

It’s also largely irrelevant.

The system,
your laptop/computer,
has to see something - in order to react to it

But it does not see anything.

Check a different cable, a different port, no HUB but direct connection …

The Arch Wiki link that I posted above, makes reference at the very bottom of the page to permission issues. It is possible this may be the problem. This is way above my paygrade.

… the system has to see … something
when the device is connected

It isn’t seeing anything.
Just as if nothing at all happened - upon connection.

all the right permissions and software cannot magically solve that
IMO

1 Like
arghya ) gphoto2 --auto-detect
Model                          Port                                            
----------------------------------------------------------

Unable to detect. I will check that permission issue. Thanks.

Thanks for your response. Yeah, I tried turning off the wifi, but it still not working.
I think I have to take the advice of removing sd card.

Have you tried accessing the camera through graphics software like, GIMP, xnViewMP etc?