Connect Canon DSLR Camera to Manjaro to import photos

… but the system does not even notice that there even is a device?
I’ll shut up now. :grin:

Yes, that is what I am wondering. Don’t know if I am missing some drivers or anything. At least something should have shown up.

I tried with two cables, and none is working. I don’t have any windows set up to check it on. Will arrange some other cables and give it a try. Nowadays finding micro USB cables is tough.

tried with gimp,darktable. none works.

perhaps, perhaps not
but:

any USB device will trigger at least some messages when you connect it

No reaction at all essentially means
that you expect the system to react (successfully or not) to an event
that, as far as the system is concerned, never even happened.

You know you plugged something in.
The system doesn’t - it sees no evidence of anything occurring

… how should it react to something it isn’t aware of?

That is what the two commands did check.
The system was oblivious to you plugging/unplugging your device

1 Like

I am trying to connect a Nikon D3100 to my Pinebook Pro with Manjaro ARM. I tried these two Commands, and saw various responses via the Terminal: doesn’t recognise the camera; “was not an MTP device” - then it states:
gen 02 21:18:40 clare-c systemd[1]: systemd-userdbd.service: Got notification message from PID 52252, but reception only permitted for main PID 392
gen 02 21:18:40 clare-c systemd[1]: systemd-userdbd.service: Got notification message from PID 52253, but reception only permitted for main PID 392
gen 02 21:18:40 clare-c systemd[1]: systemd-userdbd.service: Got notification message from PID 52251, but reception only permitted for main PID 392

Canon recommends to use a particular cable, IFC-600PCU. Another resource, photographypursuits.com, lists the usb cables that should be used for the different canon cameras, again it’s IFC-600PCU for your cam. Since there are 6 different cables listed for their various cameras I’d strongly recommend getting the right one.

And apropos the risk of breaking a port; you’re much more likely to break your tiny usb-c port than the much more robust sd card slot.

1 Like