[Category request] General discussion

Really? I would have believed you if you simply said Manjaro team. But that is just rich, saying it’s the community… so where was the canvassing of ‘the community’ as to what the new forum would look like? Where was the brainstorming on what the new forums and subforums would be, and critical analysis and debate as to what sections should go, and what should say? I’ll believe “community opinion” when there is evidence to support that.

I believe the problem being faced here is the classic one of criticism (warranted or otherwise) being taken personally rather than at face value, which is then responded to caustically, further inflaming the issue, rather than critically and impersonally responding to it. After all, if you didn’t intend to further inflame the situation, you wouldn’t have replied:

and

4 Likes

None of my posts on here have ever been rude and I have never shown a bad attitude towards anyone check my posts. All I am saying is the community is important to the distro and it makes sense to listen to the feedback from them not simply say “sorry we are doing it this way if you don’t like it then try another distro”. My comments have been about the team not wanting to take onboard feedback from the community I don’t see how that can equate to having an attitude

2 Likes

Today there are 5000 users, how many are complaining? 20…50?
Yes, you have to take this into account but they are not THE community :wink: and as always, on a forum you can practically see people with problems : it doesn’t mean that everybody has problems :wink:

Yes, the new way is constraining, but it starts on good tracks: the first function of a linux forum is technical help and creating a community must come after (but yes, must also exist)

5 Likes

So, let me get this straight, is an issue that nobody asked you in particular, or let 5000 people create their own list of wishes and vote for them?
The brainstorming is done by the team, mind you, the same way as an ISO is done by one or more of team members, then is presented to the community to test, use or whatever they want to do with it, then in return comes back the feedback. Can be considered/adopted or disregarded. I don’t think mounting the carriage in front of the horse will help your case here.

Wasn’t my question clear enough?

So yes, team draws the layout, leaves out the trash, we present it clean, get feedback, work to adapt it, adds or removes things, more cleanup > we build it and have it for all of us.

Same rules of the game or not? You expect me to play solitare while you go full counterstrike?

And i never said your comments have been rude. We talked about attitude towards something YOU want vs the attitude of what WE want. Nothing more, nothing less. We made known to everybody or intentions, justified them, and we are still working on getting things on the right path. We know exactly where we were, we know exactly what was not working, and we intend to move forward. Nobody knows the future, so any speculation is pointless.

2 Likes

You are missing my point slightly. There may be plenty of people who like the new forum but its the attitude that’s wrong. Perhaps the better reply would be something like “We’ll take onboard peoples feedback and if it enough people want it then we will do it” The response of we’re doing it this way if you don’t like it leave makes people scared to share feedback and makes it feel unwelcome. Hope that makes sense

2 Likes

Again I think you are slightly missing my point. I for one and not demanding anything or expect anything. I just think the way the team have responded will make people not want to share feedback. A simple "we will listen to peoples feedback and if enough people want it we will do it " is a lot better than if you don’t like it try another distro. Surely the team should welcome feedback both positive and constructive ?

5 Likes

So you think we have some slight intelectual malfunction ?

And i think you are projection a lot.

Surely the community should welcome decisions by the team both positive and constructive?

There’s a difference most of us have made constructive comments about the teams decisions but not had positive or constructive replies. How is if you don’t like it try another distro constructive from the team? I totally get the team are frustrated with some people demanding things but the majority of people haven’t demanded anything just asked and then met with an unconstructive reply from the team

5 Likes

Yes, and we can give our thoughts on the negative and destructive decisions.

It’s better to have a two-way street. But I suspect you’ll find that out on your own in due time.

The Manjaro forum was already hemorrhaging members; now the leadership seems to be doing everything in its power to increase that.

5 Likes

I felt the old forum had way too many categories, and this one is better.

1 Like

Please translate for me what is the difference between asking and demanding in this context?
Did people asked to remain a question, or to get what the question implies, in a factual solution/appliance?

We will know next to never reply, because it seems YOU will consider it unconstructive anyway, and this dialog never happened. How about that? Will you be happy? :slight_smile:

Everyone cleans their fridge once in a while, throwing out bad food. Don’t you do that too, for your own reasons? :wink:

That’s a nice spin to try to put on it - that Manjaro “threw them out.”

No, a lot of knowledgeable, helpful, valuable members left of their own accord due to the various shenanigans that have been going on recently.

3 Likes

For the love of $deity, please just stop talking. Seriously, comparing your community members to spoiled food? This is painful to watch :frowning:

8 Likes

And how this was better exactly?

Someone got cut? Do they need transfusion ?

I could full stop doing anything for anyone from here, will you take my place?

With all due respect, that seems like it would be a good idea.

6 Likes

If you weren’t doing things for Manjaro I wouldn’t care what you had to say. It is the fact that I acknowledge your technical contributions as a member of the team that I take issue with what you are saying.

4 Likes

And how is that an issue exactly? Would you have preferred me to say:
Everyone cleans the orphaned packages from time to time.
So, 1 to 10 are you or not for Manjaro?

Because, you find it proper to say it in your first comment in this forum? Does this come from a technical stance or a moral one, and based on what standards?

I would prefer that team members do not take a negative and hostile approach to the community. That seems to be asking a bit much for you and philm at the moment given recent behaviour, but chrysostomus and eugen seem to manage it.

What is that supposed to mean?

5 Likes

And if i tell you that this is quite hostile towards anyone to say, regardless their position

So, why i should care what YOU have to say exactly? Based on your own standard put forward by your own statement.

If you don’t know, then i have no further interest in this conversation.

I had several thousand posts on the Manjaro forum, this is hardly my first one.

6 Likes