Can't use wifi adapter

Hello! I’ve been trying to figure out how to set up my external wifi adapter, but It is not working. I have a wifi connection without using the adapter but it is very poor thus why I use a wifi adapter. I have been trying to get it to work for ages now, and it isn’t, Someone please help

Hi @ThatRedDragon, and welcome!

Since there are many manufacturers of WiFi equipment, you’ll have to supply a lot more info. To that end, please see, [HowTo] Provide System Information and, if applicable, see [HowTo] post screenshots and links

With no info - impossible

What is the output of (copy the text from terminal → paste into new comment → select text → click on the code-fence button </>

lsusb

My apologies, I seem to have forgotten.

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0bda:b009 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Realtek Bluetooth 4.2 Adapter
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04ca:707d Lite-On Technology Corp. HP Webcam
Bus 001 Device 011: ID 17e9:ff0c DisplayLink E1659Fwu
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 0bda:4014 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. USB Audio
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 0c76:161e JMTek, LLC. USB PnP Audio Device
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0bda:8153 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8153 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 012: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0424:2137 Microchip Technology, Inc. (formerly SMSC) USB2137B
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1532:022a Razer USA, Ltd Cynosa Chroma
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1532:0065 Razer USA, Ltd RZ01-0265, Gaming Mouse [Basilisk Essential]
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

lsusb output

Maybe it will work if you build the driver using an AUR script and dkms.

Remember to install the headers for your kernel(s) before attempting to build the driver

ok what now

What do you mean by that?

Do you want me to build it for you?

sure i guess, I have no idea what i’m doing, I have files from the website and I have no idea how to use them, I can give you the files if you need them

AUR buildscripts are scripts created for Archlinux - scripts which take some tar-balls - unpack them - run a number of scripted commands and pack it for use by pacman.

The original way is to install some needed packages

sudo pacman -Syu git base-devel

Then you use git to clone the relevant script

git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/rtl88x2bu-dkms-git.git

Next step is to enter the cloned folder

cd rtl88x2bu-dkms-git

Using a build script called makepkg to build the package ( the -s argument will download and install necessary dependencies)

makepkg -s

When that is done - install the package using pacman

pacman -U rtl88x2bu-dkms*.pkg.tar.zst

Because the package is built using dkms - you won’t have to rebuilt when your kernel is updated - dkms will take care of that.

All the above can be outsourced to the pamac AUR helper

pamac build rtl88x2bu-dkms-git

And remember - even though I provided the info for your usage - AUR is unsupported …

1 Like

okay so how do I use the adapter now

The same way you use the built’in adapter.

I have no idea what you mean, I just connected to my wifi with no choice whatsoever.

Nevermind, I had to disconnect, delete it, and reconnect to my wifi. Thank you so much!!!

1 Like

@linux-aarhus You are a legend, Thank you so much!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.