Cant log in after resizing my main partition

I’m new to linux. After i resized my main parition and restarted my pc this white screen shows up. which says error occured and tells me to log out. the cursor stays as a cross. I cannot access my dock, terminal or any of the apps, the super key doesnt work . None of the shortcut keys work, just steam and discord opens at startup and only the logout option works

Any sort of help is greatly appreciated

Hi @Faid, and welcome!

Resizing your partition seems easy. And it might even be, after a couple of years (read: with experience.)

Well, the resizing itself might not be difficult, by itself. Unfortunately a lot is necessary for a system to stay functioning :100: after something like that.

The partition’s UUID might have changed, requiring editing the current one. I think there’s also more things that can happen, but I don’t know exactly what they are.

In any case, I’d recommend booting up into a live environment, entering a chroot environment from there and correcting any possible mistakes.

How to chroot

1. Ensure you’ve got a relatively new ISO or at least one with a still supported LTS kernel.

2. Write/copy/dd the ISO to a USB thumb drive.

3. When done, boot with the above mentioned USB thumb drive into the live environment.

4. Once booted, open a terminal and enter the following command to enter the chroot encironment:

manjaro-chroot -a
  1. If you have more than one Linux installation, select the correct one to use from the list provided.

When done, you should now be in the chroot environment.

But, be careful, as you’re now in an actual root environment on your computer, so any changes you make will persist after a restart

From the chroot environment, run thee following:

cat /etc/fstab

and

fdisk -l

…And provide the output here, as described below:

Providing terminal output

:bangbang: Tip: :bangbang:

When posting terminal output, copy the output and paste it here, wrapped in three (3) backticks, before AND after the pasted text. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

Or three (3) tilde signs, like this:

~~~
pasted text
~~~

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Sed
sollicitudin dolor
eget nisl elit id
condimentum
arcu erat varius
cursus sem quis eros.

Instead of like this:

Sed sollicitudin dolor eget nisl elit id condimentum arcu erat varius cursus sem quis eros.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as described above.

Thereby increasing legibility thus making it easier for those trying to provide assistance.

For more information, please see:

:bangbang::bangbang: Additionally

If your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

It will also be necessary to know which disk was the partition on you resized, i.e. /dev/sda, /dev/nvme0n1 or similar, so provide that as well.

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Apparently you already resolved your issue since you created another thread that clearly shows us you were able to move on from here. Please don’t leave us hanging.

1 Like

Right. Closing then.