Can't install gPodder

I dropped a line at the packager to fix it. But interestingly, i can advance if i choose “choose” without clicking anything. This is on xfce with the gtk4 pamac version.

My Pamac appears ruined by this. Now when I try to remove gPodder (installed on comandline), or add other apps, including some updates from AUR, it shows the error and will not do anything. I did refresh database, it went through but does not solve the issue. How to resolve?

Certainly not ruined by this. Probably something from aur. My advice is not to try to update repo and aur at the same time. Maybe you can start another topic for your update problem and post error logs.

Yesterday, I tried to install gPodder on the gui Pamac, but got the error:
target not found: youtube-dl
and couldn’t install, as I already reported here:

Someone suggested to install it from command line, which I did and it installed.

But then pamac appears ruined. It can’t remove gPodder, or install other apps, nor update packages. Whenever an operation is performed, it shows:
target not found: youtube-dl
and abort.

I tried to install youtube-dl from the command line, it failed with error:
One or more PGP signatures could not be verified!

I tried refresh the database, it went through but does not solve the problem.

How can I resolve this?

It doesn’t make sense and recommending it seems a bit like advocating for magic, but:

sudo pacman -Rns gpodder

remove it like you installed it -
the graphical pamac GUI should definitely pick up that gpodder and it’s dependencies are no longer installed.

After that, I have no idea - I don’t know the tool, I don’t use it, I don’t trust it.

Hi @XJia,

Considering this:

…and considering mine works just fine:

$ pamac search youtube-dl
[...]
youtube-dl  2021.12.17-2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  AUR
A command-line program to download videos from YouTube.com and a few more sites

I suspect your package lists are either not up to date, or corrupted. So I’d suggest removing them:

sudo pacman -Sy

And see if that helps.

Also,

:bangbang: Tip: :bangbang:

When posting terminal output, copy the output and paste it here, wrapped in three (3) backticks, before AND after the pasted text. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

Or three (3) tilde signs, like this:

~~~
pasted text
~~~

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Sed
sollicitudin dolor
eget nisl elit id
condimentum
arcu erat varius
cursus sem quis eros.

Instead of like this:

Sed sollicitudin dolor eget nisl elit id condimentum arcu erat varius cursus sem quis eros.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as described above.

Thereby increasing legibility thus making it easier for those trying to provide assistance.

For more information, please see:

:bangbang::bangbang: Additionally

If your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

I did:

but still got the same error when trying to update a few packages.

I did:

and indeed, gpodder is removed together with 2 dependencies.

But then I try to update from the gui pamac, it still shows the same error and does not proceed.

Speaking of, when last did you update?

Please provide the complete output, in the format I gave earlier, of:

pamac checkupdates --force-refresh
~ pamac checkupdates --force-refresh
Safely check for updates without modifiying the databases
(Exit code is 100 if updates are available)

pamac checkupdates [options]

options:
  --builddir <dir> : build directory (use with --devel), if no directory is given the one specified in
                     pamac.conf file is used
  --aur, -a        : also check updates in AUR
  --no-aur         : do not check updates in AUR
  --quiet, -q      : only print one line per update
  --devel          : also check development packages updates (use with --aur)
  --no-devel       : do not check development packages updates

BTW, I’ve done update very recently, including the system update of this month and some package install and updates after that. I always use the gui pamac

Hmmmm…OK…

Please provide the output for:

sudo pacman -Syy

While some people might prefer the GUI, I don’t. Because with this text here, it’s much easier to share things and get assistance. Oh, I remember the first time I encountered the terminal. Man! What a ride! Let’s just say the terminal grew on me. And not like a fungus.

~ sudo pacman -Syy
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                 150.3 KiB   204 KiB/s 00:01 [####################################] 100%
 extra                                  8.7 MiB  2.88 MiB/s 00:03 [####################################] 100%
 community                             29.0   B   362   B/s 00:00 [####################################] 100%
 multilib                             143.8 KiB  1057 KiB/s 00:00 [####################################] 100%

The reason I prefer the gui to the terminal is that I don’t have to type in the precise package names.

It does become quicker. I’m not a touch typer (is that even a word?), and I never thought it would, but it does. And it helps do it, if you actually do it. That is, after all, how you improve something. Practise.

And it looks good, so please provide the output of:

pamac checkupdates
~ pamac checkupdates
5 available updates:
firefox             123.0.1-1        -> 124.0-1          extra
firefox-i18n-en-us  123.0.1-1        -> 124.0-1          extra
bun-bin             1.0.31-1         -> 1.0.33-1         AUR
google-chrome       122.0.6261.128-1 -> 123.0.6312.58-1  AUR
mongodb-bin         7.0.6-1          -> 7.0.7-1          AUR

Out of Date:
electron28-bin      28.2.4-1         AUR

Try good, old, deep cleanup:

sudo rm -Rf /var/tmp/pamac/dbs/sync  
sudo mkdir -p /var/tmp/pamac/dbs/sync  
sudo pamac update -a --force-refresh

Also, it shouldn’t hurt to refresh keys:

sudo pacman -S archlinux-keyring manjaro-keyring  
sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux manjaro  
sudo pacman-key --refresh  
sudo pacman -Syyu

This went through, at the end I did not do the update of packages prompted. Then I went to the gui, and tried to do update. I got the same error.

sudo pacman -S archlinux-keyring manjaro-keyring  
sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux manjaro

These all went through.

sudo pacman-key --refresh

this is taking quite long time, still going. But I see lots of errors like:

gpg: error retrieving 'zbyszek@in.waw.pl' via WKD: No data
gpg: error reading key: No data
gpg: error retrieving 'lennart@poettering.net' via WKD: General error
gpg: error reading key: General error
gpg: error retrieving 'lennart@poettering.de' via WKD: General error
gpg: error reading key: General error
gpg: error retrieving 'lpoetter@redhat.com' via WKD: No data
gpg: error retrieving 'poettering@users.sourceforge.net' via WKD: No data

what do those mean?

These all went through, and when I try to update on the gui, still the same error.

There are a lot of these:

…so I’d say work through this:

As far as I am aware youtube-dl has been removed from the official repositories, and replaced by yt-dlp; which is a fork of youtube-dl.

sudo pacman -s yt-dlp

If gPodder still fails with yt-dlp installed, you may need to wait for the gPodder maintainer to play catch up. Cheers.

Please also note that the Community repo hasn’t existed in quite some time. That you still have it listed indicates that you have not paid any attention to the Stable Announcements whenever manual intervention has been required.

I suggest you read and understand what a .pacnew file is: begin with the System Maintenance Wiki page, under the heading of Pacnew and Pacsave files, and follow that up with anything else you can find on the topic.

Cheers.

1 Like

You need to update the manjaro-mirrors and then again delete-restore database. If the pacman conf needs to be updated, as @soundofthunder says, then do it as a first action, then the rest.