Can't get Realtek RTL8192EU 802.11b/g/n WLAN Adapter to work, maybe driver updating help?

I thought you knew?
I thought you checked whether what @murrayo suggested was the correct driver?

AUR (en) - rtl8192eu-dkms

… what the command would be?

yay -S rtl8192eu-dkms

yeah, I put

“sudo pamac install rtl8192eu-dkms” and I didn’t find a target. that is why. I used pamac. my bad folks.

Don’t use pamac with sudo - it will prompt you for the password.
Same goes for yay.

You might want to refresh the mirror list and database.

yay -Syyu rtl8192eu-dkms
might do that as well

1 Like

didn’t work. couldn’t find the package. could I try git clone maybe?

This IS the name of the package.

I can run this command and it will start to download and build.

Something needs to be refreshed on your end - is your system up to date?

yeah I updated it an hour ago. I could try again updating it. everything is updated. But I did do a git clone command, and the end of the installation, this popped up:

“ERROR: Missing 4.19.271-1-MANJARO kernel modules tree for module rtl8192eu/5.6.4.”

of course you need the kernel headers for all the kernels you have installed
you want to build a kernel module …

Then I will try to install (in my case I think reinstall because I think I did install that package)

you really have the 419 kernel installed?
and use it?
I don’t think that the headers for that (or the kernel itself) is still available.
But that is just a guess …

I thought I did, I may have had installed a different package. I tried to install something I read online that supposedly was that (ruh roh :confused: don’t do what I did )

well I don’t know what to do now. Should I just continue to use USB tethering then or get a new adapter?

Well - what do you think now? :wink:

… thinking won’t help much - checking will

manjaro settings manager GUI or mhwd-kernel on the command line

If you can’t install the headers for all your kernels - this one included - you will not be able to build the driver package.

1 Like

yes its in there (4.19), I installed it. If I installed it then I configured something wrong

The settings manager only installs the kernels - you’ll have to take care of installing the matching headers.
pacman or pamac or pamac-manager …

If you can’t install the headers - and you don’t use that kernel - remove it.

1 Like

Alright then.

… no - you didn’t check
But I just did.

That kernel is still available - and so must be the headers.
No need to remove it, then.

it says in my kernel manager that 4.19 is there, but its showing in my package manager that kernel isn’t there.

It also told you that the driver you wanted to install wasn’t there.
It “lied”. Both times.

No, actually the program is innocent, but he who operates it is not :sunglasses:
you just need to
make sure you are

• not in software mode
  • have enabled AUR
  • have a good mirror list and refresh it

in the “General” and “Advanced” and “Third Party” tab of “Preferences”.

Of course the linux419 headers are available …

wdym not in software mode?

Please don’t use these abbreviations - but I deduced that you meant: “what do you mean?”
I meant the checkbox for that option in the hamburger menu that gives you access to the settings of the program.

2 Likes

tdavis3113, I have a hard time understanding what you have done so far.
Are you using Pamac? In command line interface (CLI) or Graphic User Interface (GUI)?
If you are using the cli, please write what instructions you are using.

The most user-friendly is to use pamac in GUI mode.
From the wiki (modified):

1. Open Pamac - the name in menu is Add/Remove Software.
  2. Click on the three dots in the upper right corner (the hamburger menu).
  3. The first entry is “software mode” with a check box. Make sure it is not ticked.
  4. Navigate to the Preferences page. You will be required to enter your password to access it.
  5. At Preferences page → select the Third Party tab → and move the slider to enable AUR support.

Now leave the Preferences page and search for rtl8192eu-dkms. Install and tell us what happens.

In the meantime you might want to refer to this.

P.S.
As Nachlese said, please don’t use abbreviations.
If you haven’t already read this page, this is always a good read:

(8192eu-dkms is no longer in the AUR. I guess it has been made redundant by rtl8192eu-dkms. They both refer to the same git anyway.)