Cannot get to GUI

I can get to TTY if I add nomodeset as a boot parameter. Cannot even get a live USB to be boot, just hangs. This happened after the major update yesterday. I cannot send logs because I can’t get my other laptop onto the internet. I can access it via tty and run commands though.

systemctl restart sddm causes the screen to flicker a few times, but otherwise noting. journalctl gives me an error about not starting the display server, "Failed to read display number from pipe`.

The command startx fails : “Fatal server error: No screens found”. /var/log/Xorg.log reads line that it can’t open module fbdev or vesa

Hi @johnnyappleseed and welcome to the Manjaro community.

As a new user, please take some time to familiarise yourself with Forum requirements; in particular, the many ways to use the forum to your benefit. To that end, some or all these links will be invaluable:

And last, but not least, the Stable Update Announcements, which you should check frequently for important update related information. Occasionally an issue might be directly related to a particular update; it’s always best to check those announcements.

In the meantime, please provide output from the following commands. These will give the minimum of information necessary for others to help you effectively:

inxi --admin --verbosity=8 --filter --no-host --width

and

journalctl --boot=-1 --priority=3 --catalog --no-pager

Cheers.

Try logging in to a TTY session & run the command startplasma-wayland. If that fails, you may have some error messages that could help solve the issue. For example, if you get an error message such as:

*Error*: could not determine $DISPLAY.
*Error*: *Can not contact kdeinit5*!

then you may have some Plasma 5 leftovers that need removing. Run the command

sudo pacman -Ru kf5

to remove those packages (which should include the kinit (5.115.0-1) package which causes the above error).

Then try startplasma-wayland again.

If that doesn’t work, try to log into an X11 session by running the command startx. That should get you into a Plasma session where you can continue troubleshooting and do some maintenance such as dealing with any .pacnew/.pacsave files that the upgrade produced.

Hopefully then you should be able to reboot and log into a Plasma Wayland session.

Also, please note that there may be problems starting a Wayland session if you have an Nvidia GPU. There are other topics in this forum that can guide you on that issue.

1 Like

Thanks for some of these tips. I have AMD integrated GPU. The command startx fails : “Fatal server error: No screens found”. /var/log/Xorg.log reads line that it can’t open module fbdev or vesa

The startplasma-wayland says Could not start D-Bus. Can you call qdbus? So i type in qdbus and get `Could not connect to D-Bus server: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NotSupported: Using X11 for dbus-daemon autolaunch was disabled at compile time, set you DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS instead.

inxi response is too long for me to type out. I can give specifics if you need.

• Kernel: 5.10.216-1-MANJARO
  • Graphics: AMD Raven Ridge (Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Mobile Series)
    *X: Loaded: radeon unloaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev,vesa,gpu

journalctl gives a few errors, some from kernel, some from bluetoothd, dbus-broker-launch (4 total) and oulseaudio

OK. That’s beyond my knowledge level, but others here should be able to (hopefully) help resolve the issue.

1 Like

Any of the log things can be sent to a pastebin as long as networking is still active.

Maybe also check those packages

pacman -Qs dbus

I can’t get internet right now, let me see if I can find the ethernet <->USB-C cable to plug it in to then send.

pacman -Qs dbus does list several items. Know what I would be looking for?

Those commands are clearly not useful if you can’t login to the GUI, or access Internet, but please do keep them as a reference, along with any links given that might be useful later.

You might be able to pipe the outputs to a text file, though, perhaps on a spare USB drive. Then, if there’s another computer available that has Internet connected, you could still paste that content to the forum as needed. It’s a cumbersome process, I know.

Something like:

echo journalctl --boot=-1 --priority=3 --catalog --no-pager > "/dev/sdXY/output.txt"

For now, it’s probably best to stick to specific outputs requested, rather than the general commands given earlier. Cheers.

1 Like

I don’t know why date/time format is wrong.

Apr 26 17:59:09 user-manjaro kernel: __common_interrupt: 1.55 No irq handler for vector
Apr 26 17:59:09 user-manjaro kernel: __common_interrupt: 2.55 No irq handler for vector
Apr 26 17:59:09 user-manjaro kernel: __common_interrupt: 3.55 No irq handler for vector
Apr 26 17:59:09 user-manjaro kernel: __common_interrupt: 4.55 No irq handler for vector
Apr 26 17:59:09 user-manjaro kernel: __common_interrupt: 5.55 No irq handler for vector
Apr 26 17:59:09 user-manjaro kernel: __common_interrupt: 6.55 No irq handler for vector
Apr 26 17:59:09 user-manjaro kernel: __common_interrupt: 7.55 No irq handler for vector
Apr 26 17:59:10 user-manjaro kernel: snd_pci_acp3x 0000:04:00.5: Invalid ACP audio mode : 1
Apr 26 17:59:10 user-manjaro kernel: tpm_crb MSFT0101:00: can’t request region for resource [mem 0x7e4fd000-0x7e500fff]
Apr 26 17:59:12 user-manjaro bluetoothd[566]: Failed to set mode: Blocked through rfkill (0x12)
Apr 26 17:59:31 user-manjaro bluetoothd[566]: Failed to set mode: Blocked through rfkill (0x12)
Apr 26 21:12:36 user-manjaro dbus-broker-launch[561]: Activation request for ‘org.bluez’ failed.
Apr 26 21:12:36 user-manjaro pulseaudio[1374]: org.bluez.BatteryProviderManager1.UnregisterBatteryProvider() Failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner:Could not activate remote peer: activation request failed: unit is invalid.
Apr 26 21:12:36 user-manjaro dbus-broker-launch[561]: Activation request for ‘org.freedesktop.nm_dispatcher’ failed.
Apr 26 21:12:36 user-manjaro pulseaudio[1374]: Error opening PCM device front:1: No such file or directory
Apr 26 21:12:36 user-manjaro pulseaudio[1374]: Error opening PCM device front:1: No such file or directory
Apr 26 21:12:36 user-manjaro dbus-broker-launch[561]: Activation request for ‘org.freedesktop.nm_dispatcher’ failed.
Apr 26 21:12:37 user-manjaro dbus-broker-launch[561]: Activation request for ‘org.freedesktop.nm_dispatcher’ failed.

I was able to hardwire to the network and run updates. It installed a few more. I rebooted, and everything came back up as it should.

2 Likes

Good to know.
Everything is right with the Universe again?

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.