Can we expect some custom Manjaro theming for GNOME in the near future?

As the title says. Manjaro theming was “broken” by the arrival of GNOME 42. I remember reading that with GNOME 43 theming should have been brought back. I know about the existence of Gradience, but somehow the integration of light & dark mode, and gnome-shell theming is not satisfactory for me when using it. I would like to have a Manjaro GNOME theme that works out-of-the-box. Will it come back again?

1 Like

Hi @MattG,

While I don’t use Gnome and can really help, I see there is a package, manjaro-gnome-vanilla in the community repository that might do this for you:

$ pamac search vanilla
[...]
manjaro-gnome-vanilla                                                                                                                                                                                            0.4-3                            community
Tool for revert easly Manjaro Gnome in a Manjaro Vanilla Gnome
[...]

So you can install it using:

pamac install manjaro-gnome-vanilla

However, as I do not use Gnome, as I mentioned, this might not work as expected, since I can’t test it. But,

I hope it helps!

If you are not happy with the theming in gnome, a spin (unofficial community edition) might be an answer.

The Libadwaita Recoloring API has not yet been implemented upstream. You can track progress here: Recoloring API (#53) · Issues · GNOME / libadwaita · GitLab

In fact, it does did just the opposite. :wink:

EDIT: It’s deprecated and now dropped from the repos.

This utility allows you to reset to a vanilla GNOME session:
We remove all Manjaro GNOME customizations like extensions and
configurations.

2 Likes

From what I see, the Recoloring API is not a top priority at the moment. Very slow progress.

AH OK. Well The description made it sound different to me. I took Manjaro Vanilla Gnome as before any User customisations are applied. My bad.

:man_shrugging:

Manjaro devs were probably waiting for LibAdw api, but since its dragging its heels perhaps they can implement something themselves now?
Ive been enjoying manjaro-green shell & desktop for months with only a few simple additions to ~/.config/gtk-4.0/gtk.css & a modified adw-dark in ~/.themes/
Since its user specific overrides it can easily be disabled or removed later when the API comes out.

2 Likes

Would you mind sharing your configuration?

Sure, you can check out the details here: GitHub - riquezjp/Adw-green-dark: A 'quick fix' for Manjaro Green accents in Gnome42

In step 3 you dont need to change Legacy Apps to Adw-green, you can leave it as adw-dark & its generally just fine. You do want to set shell to adw-green

• The official Manjaro green is #16a085, so you can replace my use of #419c8a in each css file.
    I really should update that hex colour, I did it before I knew the official one.
2 Likes

Might be of interest: An extension to change the accent color in Gnome

1 Like