Broadcom 4321 [14e4:4328] rev03

Newbie here. I did quite a bit searching before posting here. I see that there have been many posts on this, but I can’t seem to get a clear concise solution.
I’m running Dual boot with Mac Os El Capitan 10.11.6/ Linux Manjaro 6.6.8-2 XFCE on a 2007 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo using a USB as the boot option to load Manjaro.
Wi-Fi is not an available from the desktop.
I also don’t have the option of using an ethernet card.
From what I’ve see it looks like I have to install the Firmware for Broadcom B43 as well as update/install the driver. Are there any clear non convoluted directions on how to install on machine with no ethernet connection possibly using a usb drive?
Thanks in advance.

Hi @infocert and welcome to the Manjaro community

A little more searching would have revealed this likely solution in the Broadcom Wi Fi not working with Manjaro thread.

From the Arch Broadcom Wiki:

“BCM4331 noticed to have problems with b43-firmware-classic.
Use b43-firmware for this card instead, or switch to
broadcom-wl mentioned below for a more stable experience.”

It is suggested to install current kernel-headers (an optional dependency for dkms). These are likely needed when using broadcom-wl-dkms:

sudo pacman -S linux66-headers

I suppose that would depend on your definition of convoluted.

Most regular maintenance on Linux; and Arch-based distributions, in particular, require effort and learning. If you’re asking for a guaranteed step-by-step walkthrough to magically solve your issues, well, that’s unlikely.

However, if you have a smartphone and know how to setup USB tethering, that’s certainly an option. Once that is in place, you can proceed to update the system and install packages as normal; only, using your phone as the Internet connection. Naturally, expect that to be slower than usual.

That is an often suggested workaround until you can get your main Internet connectivity working. Another often suggested method is to run a network cable directly to your modem/router, if you have one available; or to that of a friend, if that’s an option.

In the meantime, and as a new user, these links will help you use the forum more effectively.

I hope this helps. Cheers.

1 Like

This is just to start the conversation - I’m not the one who will be able to actually help, though.

1. It is not clear (to me) whether you boot the installer from USB or whether you already installed it to a USB drive and are now booting that.

2. provide system information - see the introductory threads on how to request assistance
    inxi -Fazy
    could be a start

3. for connectivity, you can use your smart phone (if you have one)
    connect it to your WiFi, then connect it via USB cable and enable USB tethering on the phone
    This will let you use youe WiFi via this detour, via this indirection over your phone.
    Or use it’s mobile data connection if you have enough data allowance in your plan
    (just USB tethering, then).

@soundofthunder was a bit faster than me
I’ll post it anyway since I already wrote it.

I thought I was rather slow, actually, as I’m weighted down with such a heavy avatar. :wink:

Your avatar might be heavy but you are not it (as I understand the concept) :wink:
After 8 hours we where both … not that fast.

Cheers!

1 Like

If the least convoluted workaround (using a wired connection) is not an option, the next least convoluted workaround would be to obtain a USB Wifi adapter with Linux in-kernel support

But whatever workaround is used to get a working internet connection to run calamares installer, user would still need sudo manjaro-chroot -a to install the Broadcom drivers

It may be a superfluous and even stupid question, but it has been some time since I installed and simply do not remember the whole process fully.
Is it not possible to install the needed drivers right after installation but before the first reboot?

If the internal card is in principle working and just needs a driver which is not included by default, why buy another one?

1 Like

I read that prior to your post. Thanks.
Convoluted meaning complicated and difficult to understand.

Is it not possible to install the needed drivers right after installation but before the first reboot?

User can use sudo manjaro-chroot -a to log in to installed OS and install the Broadcom drivers
If drivers are needed from AUR, they could be download and installed locally from USB

If the internal card is in principle working and just needs a driver which is not included by default, why buy another one?

because it may be less convoluted for OP than using modprobe to load Wifi drivers on Live ISO‽
and OP might be able to get a help from a friend to get a working internet connection

Ah - right. Even after installation, the freshly installed system is not yet running.
Thus manjaro-chroot is needed in any case.
I did not quite think it through.
Thanks!

1 Like

1.) I installed reFind as a boot manager, am using a flashed USB drive with Manjaro to load up the os.
2.) [Broadcom 4321 [14e4:4328] rev03 was obtained using inxi-Fazy
3.) I live in the mountains and the current carrier barely provides me with a signal.
Data is not an issue. Thanks for your response.

I really meant the whole output, not just the part with the wifi information.
But as I said: I’ll not be the one that can help you after that.

1 Like

Not quite. The easiest way to wireless is installing the b43-firmware pkg and your wifi should work almost straight away.

Only if it doesn’t (your chip is mentioned here as ‘partially’ supported) you’ll have to install broadcom-wl-dkms, which would need installing the kernel headers.

2 Likes

Why are you not using rEFInd to also boot Manjaro?
It should be detected automatically.

I am, and it is being automatically detected, but it’s being booted off of the flashed USB drive and not a hard drive partition.

so you did install it to hard drive? - it wasn’t clear to me
full system info is still missing (inxi -Fazy)
… why is the USB drive (likely the one you used to install from?) still in there?

But I may be completely off the track right now
(I know next to nothing about rEFInd)
and now I’m really out and will be just watching to perhaps learn something new …

Manjaro is not installed on the hard drive.
rEFInd is a boot manager that gives me the option to choose an operating system.
I have 2 operating systems installed.
1.) Mac OS - Installed on HDD of IMAC
2.) Manjaro - Installed on USB Flash Drive
The reason the USB drive is in there is that, although I have partitioned the hard drive in order to install some form of Linux (in this case Manjaro) I was first testing out the OS to see if it’s something I want to continue with.

So that is what you actually wanted:
to boot the installer (boot from the USB drive where the installer is)

If the wifi adapter isn’t working out of the box, it can be made to work by installing the driver (and possibly configuring the options to it when it is loaded)

But that can only be done once the system has actually been installed and is running.
(not quite accurate, but the most easy way …)

Which it isn’t. The installed system isn’t running.
Nothing is even installed.

It is still just the installer which you are booting.

I think at least I have gathered enough more information about the actual situation now.
Still can’t help.
Some advice has already been given, IMO.
Will watch and learn …

Install the system, then boot it.
Then try to make wifi work.

The OS on the Flash drive is working and Manjaro comes up.
I am able to do many things in Manjaro, but am unable to get a wireless connection. The wireless connection works when I am in the MAC OS.

Of course it is Manjaro - what comes up is the Manjaro installer - a full fledged system set up to be used to install it to a disk.
But you don’t want to install any missing things to the (temporary) installer.
It is a temporary system.

It will be the very same every time you boot it up.

You want to install any missing driver to the installed system instead, the system the installer installs …
Because: it is essentially only the installer (itself being a fully working system)

You miss a driver:
boot the installed system
and install it there.

And that is where the USB tethering comes in - if the freshly installed system does not have any network connectivity.