Broadcom 4321 [14e4:4328] rev03

I read that prior to your post. Thanks.
Convoluted meaning complicated and difficult to understand.

Is it not possible to install the needed drivers right after installation but before the first reboot?

User can use sudo manjaro-chroot -a to log in to installed OS and install the Broadcom drivers
If drivers are needed from AUR, they could be download and installed locally from USB

If the internal card is in principle working and just needs a driver which is not included by default, why buy another one?

because it may be less convoluted for OP than using modprobe to load Wifi drivers on Live ISO‽
and OP might be able to get a help from a friend to get a working internet connection

Ah - right. Even after installation, the freshly installed system is not yet running.
Thus manjaro-chroot is needed in any case.
I did not quite think it through.
Thanks!

1 Like

1.) I installed reFind as a boot manager, am using a flashed USB drive with Manjaro to load up the os.
2.) [Broadcom 4321 [14e4:4328] rev03 was obtained using inxi-Fazy
3.) I live in the mountains and the current carrier barely provides me with a signal.
Data is not an issue. Thanks for your response.

I really meant the whole output, not just the part with the wifi information.
But as I said: I’ll not be the one that can help you after that.

1 Like

Not quite. The easiest way to wireless is installing the b43-firmware pkg and your wifi should work almost straight away.

Only if it doesn’t (your chip is mentioned here as ‘partially’ supported) you’ll have to install broadcom-wl-dkms, which would need installing the kernel headers.

2 Likes

Why are you not using rEFInd to also boot Manjaro?
It should be detected automatically.

I am, and it is being automatically detected, but it’s being booted off of the flashed USB drive and not a hard drive partition.

so you did install it to hard drive? - it wasn’t clear to me
full system info is still missing (inxi -Fazy)
… why is the USB drive (likely the one you used to install from?) still in there?

But I may be completely off the track right now
(I know next to nothing about rEFInd)
and now I’m really out and will be just watching to perhaps learn something new …

Manjaro is not installed on the hard drive.
rEFInd is a boot manager that gives me the option to choose an operating system.
I have 2 operating systems installed.
1.) Mac OS - Installed on HDD of IMAC
2.) Manjaro - Installed on USB Flash Drive
The reason the USB drive is in there is that, although I have partitioned the hard drive in order to install some form of Linux (in this case Manjaro) I was first testing out the OS to see if it’s something I want to continue with.

So that is what you actually wanted:
to boot the installer (boot from the USB drive where the installer is)

If the wifi adapter isn’t working out of the box, it can be made to work by installing the driver (and possibly configuring the options to it when it is loaded)

But that can only be done once the system has actually been installed and is running.
(not quite accurate, but the most easy way …)

Which it isn’t. The installed system isn’t running.
Nothing is even installed.

It is still just the installer which you are booting.

I think at least I have gathered enough more information about the actual situation now.
Still can’t help.
Some advice has already been given, IMO.
Will watch and learn …

Install the system, then boot it.
Then try to make wifi work.

The OS on the Flash drive is working and Manjaro comes up.
I am able to do many things in Manjaro, but am unable to get a wireless connection. The wireless connection works when I am in the MAC OS.

Of course it is Manjaro - what comes up is the Manjaro installer - a full fledged system set up to be used to install it to a disk.
But you don’t want to install any missing things to the (temporary) installer.
It is a temporary system.

It will be the very same every time you boot it up.

You want to install any missing driver to the installed system instead, the system the installer installs …
Because: it is essentially only the installer (itself being a fully working system)

You miss a driver:
boot the installed system
and install it there.

And that is where the USB tethering comes in - if the freshly installed system does not have any network connectivity.

The only 2007 macs with 2.0GHz Core 2 Duos are the macbook 2,1 and the Imac 5,1. Both have ethernet ports to connect to the internet if wifi isn’t working.

We had a recent post here about trying to get manjaro installed on a macbook 2,1. The main shortfalls are the 32bit efi that would need Refind to boot and the maximum 3GB of Ram that are recognised even if 2x2GB are installed.

Because of these limitations Apple devices made before 2009 are probably too old to run manjaro properly, even if the owner has the skill set and the time to succeed with the actual installation. A much more achievable option to keep these devices in use would be a distro like AntiX that can boot 32bit efi and has a recommended minimum of 512MB of Ram.

@infocert

OK, thanks. I understand now.
Your wording was a little confusing, which is why I questioned it.

I’m just trying to understand your setup a little more. Do you have both Manjaro and El Capitan booting successfully from rEFInd?

(I’ve used rEFInd in a multiboot environment for many years; BSD, Linux, Mac, Windblows.)

Can I ask… How did you install Manjaro?

Did you ‘flash’ the Manjaro Live Installer ISO to a USB drive, and then install it to another USB drive?

Or, did you only ‘flash’ the Manjaro Live Installer ISO to one USB drive, and that’s the drive you’re using to boot from now?

Hopefully the answers to these questions will help clear up any misunderstandings that I see in several posts above.

It’s a 2007 iMAC 7.1
Intel Core Duo running at 2GHz.
The OS is 10.11.6 running 64 bit.

I flashed the USB drive.
I downloaded and extracted the OS on to the USB drive.
I installed the OS on the USB drive.

Sorry, but that hasn’t answered the questions clearly enough.

Are you saying: you only ‘flashed’ the Manjaro Live Installer ISO to ONE USB drive, and THAT is the drive you’re booting from now?

This only requires a Yes/No answer; and it’s important.

I created a bootable USB drive and installed the ISO.
I installed a boot manger that let’s me choose whether I want to boot up off of the ISO that’s been setup on the USB or boot from the internal hard drive on MAC.
I am able to successfully boot up to either OS (USB with Manjaro or MAC OS on hard drive)

Thank you.

Now let me explain what you have done:

1. You have written the Manjaro Live Installer ISO to a blank USB.
  2. Then you intalled rEFInd to the ESP on that same USB.

That’s all you’ve done, and this is why it’s important to understand:

• Manjaro is not installed anywhere.
  • You have the Manjaro Live Installer ISO, which is now a USB.

When you boot into the Live Installer, there is usually a welcome screen “Hello” and you’ll also notice an icon on the desktop, that says “Install Manjaro” (or similar). Correct?

If for some reason it’s not there, it will be in the menu somewhere.

The Manjaro Live Installer is a minimal version of Manjaro (read: it’s basically a demo) which is designed to then install the full version to another location – usually a HDD or SSD. This Live Installer doesn’t have everything needed to run Manjaro properly.

Networking via Ethernet will usually be available (it’s in the kernel) but specific WiFi drivers probably won’t be.

Until Manjaro is actually installed, you will likely not have much luck with getting any WiFi working.

Now, to overcome the limitation of the minimal ISO, download the full ISO, and write that to the USB instead. The full ISO contains everything needed to install Manjaro, though it may not have a Live environment.

Does this explanation now help you understand better?