Brightness resets to 0 after every reboot

And now the error Failed to start Load/Save #tness of backlight:acpi_video0 shows up again

Okay, mask it again :rofl:

sudo systemctl mask acpi_video0

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Ok but I donā€™t see the point
The brightness issue still exists :joy:

My apologize, I am out of ideas for now :confused:

Sorry I didnā€™t mean to be offensive
Thanks for your help :slight_smile:
At least, the errors donā€™t show up :smiley:

1 Like

Oh, no worries, was not offensive :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:!

I will try to come up with a solution soon!

1 Like

Thanks so much for your help
I can write a script to run on every boot but I really wanna know what the problem is

1 Like

Howdy!

I thought of something!
Try to add this whole line to grub!!

acpi_backlight=native radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1 systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0

Heyyy
Thanks but that didnā€™t help as well
Now Iā€™m really confused what the problem might be :thinking:

Hi, i have same problem. I havenā€™t the same system specs of yours, but i have also a amd laptop.

I have fixed the errors only with this in kernel58 and all the errors are gone:
acpi_backlight=video

But still, my brightness is set to 100% after every reboot :frowning:
maybe this works?? I havenā€™t tried:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/backlight#Backlight_is_always_at_full_brightness_after_a_reboot_with_amdgpu_driver

Have you also the failed error in the status service of amdgpu_bl0 btw??
systemctl status systemd-backlight@backlight:amdgpu_bl0.service

I have also found this:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=203905
I think the bug is fixed in kernel59 (i havenā€™t tried). Its a experimental version, but its RC6, maybe you can trust.

Or you can try this:

John Shand 2020-09-08 00:59:17 UTC

i have had this problem as well. was recently working well with kernel 5.8.7. i then install ucode-amd and then grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg to set the changes. grub automatically made the new code image work with initramfs and then, backlight went back to about 20% or 255.

i wonā€™t to try, iā€™m to scare to brok something :frowning:

oh, no worries! It shouldnā€™t break anything!

It is just the micro codes for the CPU, and if it is not compatible, it will be ignored!

Oops yeah, the package ucode amd is already installed :stuck_out_tongue:

I think kernel59 is the only fix what we need. Who give it a try? :smiley:

I am on kernel59, and seems to bo relatively stable for me! :sweat_smile:

But your mileage may vary.

Before i install kernel 59, i have tried this:

maybe this works?? I havenā€™t tried:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/backlight#Backlight_is_always_at_full_brightness_after_a_reboot_with_amdgpu_driver

But the tutorial is incomplete! After start/enabled the script as service unit i have a error that the brightness 0 is to low, i must set to 2 and i have tried to set the 0 in the file to 2, but its go back to 0 after every reboot :unamused:

Damned! I tried kernel 59 = same problem! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :rage: :japanese_ogre: :japanese_goblin:

Its really not easy to fix this.

Wow! I found a working WORKAROUND for everybody that reset the brightness to 0 after every reboot! Its really easy, without scripts, etc. Its not perfect, but for now its good enough for me. It works with xfce, but iā€™m sure that its works also with kde as you know where the options are.

This is what you need do to (in xfce):

1. Go to the settings of xfce power manager
  2. Go to tab display
  3. Set the inactivity in accu on 10 sec and 10% brighness. Same with power.
  4. Set the main brightness a littlebit higher, try to set to 11% NOT lower or same as 10% or else it wonā€™t work!
  5. Reboot and after reboot you need to wait 10 seconds extra. Bam you are inactive and the screen go to 10%,
  6. Touch the laptop and BAM 11% brightness!

It works nice for me and i can wait for the real fix from the devs. :crazy_face:

What in the quantum processing unit-

:rofl: Okay!

I think the issue was potentially introduced by some Mesa update a couple of weeks back.
At least that is when I started to notice it on my (AMD) laptop.
Laptop would not remember screen brightness after a reboot and 1st time I wanted to change it, it would act wonky, i.e. go to 0% brightness (but it would work fine after).

What I did is somewhat similar to freestuysoā€™s workaround:
I went to KDEā€™s power saving settings (in System settings -> power management).
There I set the screen brightness to whatever I want for (low) battery & AC Power, respectively.
As a result the laptop boots into a sensible brightness setting and I can reliably&directly change it, if necessary.

I thought that i was the only person on the earth that i found the workaroundā€¦ and now you tell thisā€¦
Why you donā€™t say that before i trying all-that-not-working-solutions? :cold_sweat:

Guess because I didnā€™t know until yesterday when I stumbled upon this topic? :wink:

Although I had read about the issue some time ago in a different thread, shortly after the respective update had dropped, which led me to applying the workaround back then.