Branch-compare feedback

at the bottom of https://manjaro.org/

planning to move it to the menu at the top?

PS: I love the design of giving a download window at the main page in the past, not going to the menu to find

1 Like

Hello,

Just a question
Will there be a dark theme for the site in the future ??

Cheers…

P.S. When I go to the site from the link you posted ( first visit ). The search field is populated with #manjaro. Can you remove it, as it is not a placeholder.

3 Likes

Nice!

The blog, said, “This service was mostly used by manjaro developers”, but it ended up being a very useful tool for all Manjaro users. Just like the archlinux packages and aur web sites. In Manjaro’s case, it answered the user question, “When will package ‘X’ be in ‘X’ repository?”

I agree with @GokuSan, it seems the default search is #manjaro. I typed “https://packages.manjaro.org/” and the page would refresh and add “/?query=%23manjaro”.

It doesn’t matter in the longterm for myself, because in Firefox I sent up a keyword search “manjaropkg” with a URL of https_//packages.manjaro.org/?query=%s (change underbar to colon).

Regarding #eol, could someone clarify what “end of life” means in the pre-defined regex search?

Does this mean no one is maintaining the package, or it is no longer being developed, or there is a new version, etc.

From an end-user perspective, does this mean they will need to take action and manually uninstall and/or find a replacement?

Will the package eventually disappear from the search, once the changes have reached Stable?

Out of curiosity, why isn’t python2 or gtk2 labeled eol?

Looks to me like it finds packages not existing in unstable (anymore) but in other branches.

Those are still present in unstable.

1 Like

The #eol tag will only show packages dropped from the Manjaro repos. It’s not related to Arch packages.

Example: package-x was dropped from the unstable branch, but is still in testing and stable.

I don’t recall seeing eol before in relation to a Manjaro package. The site - Manjaro branches comparaison doesn’t seem to use the term.

I did a site search for eol at wik.manjaro.org, and the only references were for the kernel and manjaro arm supported devices.

I don’t want to make a big deal out of Manjaro’s meaning of eol. I just want to understand how it is used and what, if any, impact there will be from a package marked eol. I looked at the current list of 4 packages marked as eol, and I’m thinking today, so-what :slight_smile: , but could it be impactful in the future. It must be somewhat important, if it is 1 of the 3 “available commands” documented at the top :slight_smile: :

Search for packages and compare branch versions, available commands, #manjaro, #kernels, #eol or use your own regex.

I made up this definition:

A Manjaro package that is marked eol has been determined by the Manjaro team to no longer be of value to the community and will no longer reside in the unstable repository, and subsequently the package will be removed from testing, then stable. This is a notice to current users to prepare to manually remove the package.

I think there was already a perfect definition

It’s funny how quickly a news announcement can turn into a feature request thread.

2 first responses was “Can we please have this too”. :wink:

1 Like

We can do that, as for the other requests, dark theme is not in the roadmap, for the links any browser can create bookmarks for your favourite links.

ROFLMAO - Look, the team posted a thread with the link.
Open the LINK and save it as a bookmark - you can even make a folder for Manjaro stuff.

Eol means the package as been droped (deleted) from the repos, there is a few reasons that happens, the package changed name and was replaced by another, the package is not maintained anymore, the software in question is not maintained any more EOL has to do with software lifecycle, when you type eol you can see that the version in unstable is none, that alone would give you the indication that the package no longer exists and will drop when it reaches stable.

If that package exists in the AUR with the exact same name, then Pamac will list it as an AUR package and treat it as such, if not it will turn in a orphaned package.

2 Likes

Are these 12 px small thin fonts hard to read only for me? :man_shrugging:

Hello,

Thanks for responding.
In my humble opinion https_//packages.manjaro.org/ can default to the query #manjaro so that users can still scroll the page and look at the packages and the search field will be empty so they can immediately start typing if they wish so.

Another thing from the site “Search for packages… or use your own regex.”
What kind of regex syntax can be used ex. perl, javascript, python… I donno… ?? :man_shrugging: :sweat_smile:

Most of the users will just type the package name, but again in my opinion it good to now.

:warning: Disclaimer :smiley:
These are just my opinions and are in no way, shape or form feature requests.

Cheers… and thanks again for the site.

Hello,

What small fonts ?? I can see everything from 60cm distance. There is no small fonts from my side.
In Firefox fonts are set to default. Groups sans and serif sans 16px, mono-space 12px and zoom 100%.
Same in google chrome. Everything is clear and visible.

Regular expressions are more or less the same in any language, they only vary slightly.

No regex
https://packages.manjaro.org/?query=linux51

with regex, do your own searches bookmark the page in browser
https://packages.manjaro.org/?query=linux51.%24

1 Like

CTRL +
CTRL -

Use those to zoom in or out.

Well, to me this looks disproportionally small compared to other text, but ok.

Screenshot

@zbe I might be wrong but that looks like Courier New font and it does looks small. Try installing ttf-liberation package and relaunch your browser.

font-family: ui-monospace,SFMono-Regular,Menlo,Monaco,Consolas,Liberation Mono,Courier New,monospace;

Yes, it is Courier New, which makes it even worse I guess. :smiley: But it’s not much better with Liberation (or Consolas). Seems so much wasted empty space above and below, that’s all.

Liberation Mono, 120% zoom

Anyhow, I’ll live through it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Should probably add that laptop’s display I’m currently using isn’t exactly a pinnacle of technology.

I don’t know much about fonts, but in Firefox settings for proportional I use Serif and in the Serif field fonts are Noto Serif. All looks good. Than again we all see the site with different eyes :smiley:
I have 17.3 inch laptop res 1600x900.