Boot stuck after update

It is a laptop. I have another desktop next to me if need be, but this is on a laptop. I can try if you think itight help none the less, but considering it doesn’t get stuck and it says it finished I think it’s breaking on something else maybe?

I’m reading back on my old forum you found back. It’s also not again needing to run pacman -Syu again right? :sweat_smile:.

It’s starting and stopping simple desktop display manager a few time until it once fails to start this. After that it tells me it also fails to start wait for network to be configured. But if I recall correctly it’s always been failing those two and things always worked…

How can I overcome the cuda dependency if I go lower than the 450 driver? Will mhwd handle that automatically or?

These must be the cuda related packages:

pacman -R opencl-nvidia-450xx lib32-opencl-nvidia-450xx  nvidia-450xx-utils lib32-nvidia-450xx-utils

remove them first

That still results in

:: removing nvidia-450xx-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils>=450.51.06' required by cuda

mh… then add cuda to the line.

I’ll need cuda for other things like vulkan. Is it possible to just roll it back to an older version that had lower requirements?

You’ll reinstall cuda at the end, after fixing the Nvidia drivers mess.

1 Like

Unfortunately not possible. First fix the driver… cuda comes later.

I figured. I mainly wondered because unlike the Nvidia drivers I only see a cuda package. But I guess I can reinstall an older one that’s compatible later if need be.

It’s installing 440xx now. I see no opencl but I suppose I can also install that one later?

you remove 450xx first?

yes

Yes I did :relaxed:

Same issue, but now the network manager wait online didn’t fail :thinking:. Sddm still does tho.

Maybe let’s try 430xx since that one did work before?

yepp just try it. :wink:

Also just to be sure:

sudo pacman -Syu

:smiley:

2 Likes

I just rebooted and it runs. There is my login screen :heart_eyes:
I guess I can just reinstall the appropriate opencl packages. But now I only wonder how to get cuda installed again? Like, I need an older version that supports older drivers and I’m unsure how :sweat_smile:

Great :+1: Since 340xx will be soon deprecate, it would be good to investigate whats wrong with the newer drivers.

Do you need cuda for developing? Because it is a toolkit. opencl is available for 340xx. You dont need the cuda package for running vulkan.

I’m running 430xx not 340xx, so at least there is that :wink:. But agree, it’ll be nice to know why this happens, even nicer if it can be fixed. I think my hardware isn’t old enough to not be supported.

Maybe. I’m might need it for development. I’ve been working on some game related projects. It’s at this point unsure what we’ll all need, but if it’s possible to have it ready that’ll be good.

But I literally haven’t had need to use an old version of something that doesn’t have a seperate package for the old version before, so I’m unsure how to install :sweat_smile:.

You can just install cuda… it should work with your driver.

pamac install cuda

ok good. If you would like to investigate this driver issue then open a new topic. :wink:

I am happy that it worked now for you and i hope you learned something :slight_smile:

1 Like

It tells me the pamac command isn’t not found. I’ve always been working with just pacman and octopi as GUI (and yay for AUR).

Using

pacman -S cuda

It tells me I need to install the nvidia-450xx-utils package which as far as I’m aware needs the 450xx driver which I think we can agree is not a great idea right now. Hence I want to install an older version with a lower requirement.

1 Like

Also yes, I learned a lot. The one pro of difficult issues like this is that it gives a lot opportunity for learning stuff.

I have a shitton of work, but as soon as I have some time I’ll be sure to check the driver issue thing out and make a topic.

Thank you so much for helping! I look into the cuda later, it’s not nearly as high priority since it’s more a “I might be needing this during these projects” thing. If I turn out I need it, worst case the boss has to wait a tiny bit longer, but can’t take too long to figure out. For now, I’m gonna get dinner and watch TV.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.