Big problems with the kernel 6.x series

Hello,

Sorry to say that, but for me, kernel 6.x series are not very good. I encountered problems with two laptops. I tried the kernel 6.1 LTS and the kernel 6.3. With the kernel 6.1 LTS, I encountered kernel panics on one of the laptop and display tearing and stuttering on the other. Same thing with the kernel 6.3 on the display issue. I installed the kernel 5.4 series and I have no problems. It seems that kernel 5.x series is more stable then the kernel 6.x series.

Regards.

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

1. Please read this:
    [HowTo] Provide System Information
    and press the three dots … below your post and press the :pencil2: to give us more information so we can see what’s really going on.
    Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies… :grin:
  2. An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information for us to be able to help you. (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)
    Also, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text. (use the option “preformatted text”)

:+1:

3 Likes

Well, maybe it seems so, but I guess kernel 6.x has features, which are not compatible with your laptops. Note that major Updates (5.x → 6.x) has always some breaking changes. Therefore, you are free to use an older supported kernel for your older laptops.

This post contains some inaccuracy.

I mean, yes, with every new kernel version, there may be some new features and updates not being compatible with older systems.

But these changes/features/updates doesn’t haven’t anything to do with the first number of the kernel version anymore, actually.
The first number will be increased, if the number after the first dot exceeds 20. So, tbh, kernel version 6.0 could have been called 5.21 as well.