Asking About The KDE Ram Usage

Hi i started using manjaro yesterday since i had to move away from win11 for a while. I rlly been thinking since i installed it and some few games [Ported using Wine Loader] And Discord i have a 6gb ram and a core i3-3240 and a [Built In Intel Graphics GPU]. After Using it For A Day I Notice When I tired To Run A Game Alongside In Call In Discord The Game usualy Crashed first before the Entire OS Crash. They All run Better On Win11 Before [Like: I can play while in a vc with my friends without a lag (Using the same spec of computer)] After the OS Crashing I Had to restart it every time, The Os sometimes crashes in middle of a file transfer and idk why. I Had my Video Driver Installed As AutoDetect Open Source Since Idk what those stand for so i usualy let it default I have 6gb ram and i expect it to run smoother but it slower and sometimes crashes.It would be a big help to like get introduced to the how big can this draw from the ram etc etc. I am pretty much noob at this kind of stuff and get to know more information about it

That is sufficient for KDE to perform nicely. Provide basic Information:

I recommend activating a swapfile, it helps in system stability if there isnt enough RAM
Do you have a swap space activated?
Let’s see, write this command in the terminal:

free -h
Output

You will get something like this:

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           7.5G        5.8G        365M        726M        1.4G        787M
Swap:           14G        1.1G         13G

Where 14G is the total space reserved for swap, if you don’t get swap row in the output, it means you don’t have swap

Another alternative way for doing is:

cat /proc/swaps OR swapon -s
Output

In my case I have this:

Filename                                Type            Size            Used            Priority
/swapfile                               file            4194300         0               -2
cat: OR: No such file or directory
cat: swapon: No such file or directory

The size is measure in kb, but what is important is the type or swapfile, which in my case is swapfile

If for some reason you don’t have one, please read this tutorial:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Swap

You may choose between a swap partition or swapfile. Also I recommend tunning swappiness

Adding to what others already mentioned, you should avoid unnecessary widgets.

You should also investigate the reason for the crashes. After rebooting from a crash, get the output of journalctl -p3 -b-1 or journalctl -xe -b-1.

It isn’t normal for the system to crash during a transfer. Maybe the the system is not crashed and you’re not waiting enough. If you have default cash settings, and depending on the IO scheduler, this can happen. So, when the system looks frozen, try to change TTY with CTRL+ALT+F2 to see if it responds. The you can go back with CTRL+ALT+F1 (or +F7 if +F1 doesn’t take you back). If you change to TTY2 successfully, you can login as root and investigate what’s going on with top or free, for example.

This will probably take some time to figure out.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.