[ARM Stable Update] 2021-07-23 - Box64, Firefox, PlaMo Gear, SystemD, MyGNUHealth, Pipewire and Kernels

Hello ARM community.

This seems to be the update of point releases!

Some highlights:

• Most of our kernels got updated
  • Plasma got updated to 5.22.3
  • A new version of Firefox brings it to 90.0.1
  • Plasma Mobile Gear released version 21.07 of their applications
  • Added MyGNUHealth, Box64, Timeshift and Spot-Client to the repositories
  • Systemd is updated to 249.1
  • And Pipewire got a new point release with 0.3.32
  • Gnome updated to 40.3
  • Lots of updated packages for our Mobile offerings
  • The regular Python updates
  • And regular updates from upstream

How to use Kodi RPI on Manjaro ARM

If anyone wants to test kodi on the rpi, install these packages:

sudo pacman -S kodi-rpi kodi-rpi-dev kodi-rpi-eventclients kodi-rpi-tools-texturepacker linux-rpi4 xf86-video-fbturbo-git

Have it set up is to boot straight in to kodi

This means the kodi.service file need to replace whatever login manager you have installled. In my case I would:

sudo systemctl disable lightdm.service
sudo systemctl enable kodi.service

They recommend removing custom configs in config.txt. We ran into an issue if a value was set with gpu_mem=.

My config.txt with a bit of overclocking:

over_voltage=5
arm_freq=2000
#gpu_mem=64     #disable this
initramfs initramfs-linux.img followkernel
kernel=kernel8.img
arm_64bit=1
disable_overscan=1

#enable sound
dtparam=audio=on
hdmi_drive=2

#enable vc4
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,cma-512
#max_framebuffers=2    #disable cause kodi uses more
dtoverlay=rpivid-v4l2
disable_fw_kms_setup=1

Some notes:

The default user will be kodi
kodi home directory will be /var/lib/kodi
So put test video in /var/lib/kodi/Videos so you can get to it
after setting up the video directory in kodi.

Upstream Notifications:

If you used the Manjaro ARM Installer or is using PinePhone or PineTab, you need to redo your passwords, because of an update to libxcrypt:
https://archlinux.org/news/sorting-out-old-password-hashes/

Older notifications

Chromium will loose sync support in early March:
Arch Linux - News: Chromium losing Sync support in early March

ghostpcl>=9.53.2-2 and ghostxps>=9.53.2-2 updates require manual intervention:
https://www.archlinux.org/news/ghostpcl9532-2-and-ghostxps9532-2-updates-require-manual-intervention/

The nss and zn_poly packages requires manual intervention:
https://www.archlinux.org/news/nss3511-1-and-lib32-nss3511-1-updates-require-manual-intervention/
https://www.archlinux.org/news/zn_poly-092-2-update-requires-manual-intervention/

The packages hplip and firewalld requires manual intervention:
https://www.archlinux.org/news/hplip-3203-2-update-requires-manual-intervention/
https://www.archlinux.org/news/firewalld081-2-update-requires-manual-intervention/

Package changes:

(Fri Jul 23 10:33:20 CEST 2021)

• arm-stable community aarch64: 727 new and 691 removed package(s)
  • arm-stable core aarch64: 46 new and 47 removed package(s)
  • arm-stable extra aarch64: 770 new and 767 removed package(s)
  • arm-stable kde-unstable aarch64: 399 new and 398 removed package(s)

See all the package changes here !

Testers needed on arm-testing branch

We are in need of testers for our arm-testing and arm-unstable branches.
So if you are adventurous and want newer software quicker, we would love for you to help us test out the new packages in arm-testing branch.

All you have to do to switch to this branch is:

• Run this command to switch branch: sudo pacman-mirrors -aS testing && sudo pacman -Syyu. This will generate a new mirrorlist for you, sync your databases with the new mirror and update your system using the arm-testing branch.

We would then love for you to give feedback in our update posts in #manjaro-arm:arm-testing-updates. That way we can better find and fix bugs, before they hit arm-stable branch. Thank you!

Donation

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.
You can also donate to our upstream, which is Arch Linux ARM.

Poll

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

2 Likes

Known Issues and Solutions

This is a wiki post, please edit it when you find a solution to an issue you encountered

systemd-hook unsuccesful after pacman 6 update
After the pacman 6 update, updates will create this message in the post-transation hooks part:

Running the command manually works and there has been no issues reported as the result of this. This will either get fixed at some point in Pacman or SystemD.

Keyring issues
If you have some gpg keyring issues, you can run sudo systemctl start pacman-init.service which will regenerate your keyring. Will take a few minutes to complete.

Old Issues

Plasma Mobile no longer boots
The current update to qt5-es2-base results in Plasma Mobile no longer booting, showing a screen that says to run a loginctl command to login.
Fixed by updating to qt5-es2-base-5.15.2+kde+r199-3.1 and qt5-es2-declarative-5.15.2+kde+r28-3.1.

Kwin crashes on startup on Pinebook Pro
This seems to be related to Mesa 20.3 and the Pinebook Pro support in kernel 5.10, as this does not seem to happen on other devices.
It does not impact 3d performance as far as I can tell. Just the OpenGL compositing in Kwin.
Fixed with mesa 20.3.2-2.

My VPN no longer connects
OpenVPN 2.5.0 changed how VPN routes work.
Workaround is to downgrade to previous version (2.4.9):

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/openvpn-2.4.9*

DP Alt Mode no longer works on Pinebook Pro
This is a known issue, the hacky patch we had to enable this has broken in recent kernels.
@tsys and Ayufan are looking into it.
As a workaround you can install linux-pinebookpro again.
FIXED with linux-5.9.12-4 and linux-rc-5.10-rc7-2 and above.

brcm-patchram-plus and pi-blueooth are in conflict
See this post for workaround:
[ARM Testing Update] 2020-11-16 - Bitwarden, Mesa-Git, Pacman and kernels - #10 by Darksky

Plasma Mobile Keyboard
The plasma mobile onscreen keyboard does not work with QT 5.15.0.
This is fixed by updating to kwin 5.19.3-1.1.

PinePhone uboot
This update to the PinePhone Uboot package (2020.04-2), changed how the DTS is loaded from the kernel, since the Kernel DTS for the Pinephone also changed. When doing this update on the PinePhone images from Alpha5 and back, please make this change to the /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf before rebooting:

• sun50i-a64-pinephone.dtb to sun50i-a64-pinephone-1.2.dtb
  • root=LABEL=ROOT to root=LABEL=ROOT_MNJRO

Manual interventions:
The nss and zn_poly packages prior to version 3.51.1-1 and version 0.9.2-2 respectively, were missing a soname link each. This has been fixed in 3.51.1-1 and 0.9.2-2 of these packages, so the upgrade will need to overwrite the untracked files created by ldconfig. If you get any of these errors

nss: /usr/lib/p11-kit-trust.so exists in filesystem
zn_poly: /usr/lib/libzn_poly-0.9.so  exists in filesystem

when updating, use

pacman -Syu --overwrite /usr/lib/p11-kit-trust.so --overwrite /usr/lib/libzn_poly-0.9.so

to perform the upgrade.

Device stopped booting after Uboot update
The uboot update included a change to the extlinux.conf file. This change will be incompatible with the old 1 partition layout of some devices.
So if you are updating installs made with images 20.02.1 or older, you need to apply this fix before rebooting!
To fix this please edit your /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf file and add 2 periods in front of each first slash, like so:

KERNEL ../Image
FDT ../dtbs/ #etc.
APPEND initrd=../initramfs-linux.img #etc.

Save the file and reboot.

Beelink GTKing Pro GNOME and XFCE edition up to date. GNOME edition updated with a number of warnings but updated successfully.

warning: could not get file information for usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-firstboot.service
warning: could not get file information for var/log/journal/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/xsessions/gnome-classic.desktop
warning: directory permissions differ on /etc/sudoers.d/
filesystem: 755  package: 750
15/21) Warn about old perl modules

GNOME-Wayland runs smoothly. Thanks Manjaro Team.

Out of curiousity:

gnome-shell --version
GNOME Shell 40.3

But Gnome Settings - About

Is it GNOME 40.3 or is it GNOME 40.2.0?

I use manjaro-phosh on pinephone. After the update I encounter the following error:

Autorotate function does not work correctly. If autorotate is switched on, the display constantly switches back and forth between portrait and landscape format, even if the device is not moved at all.

Hi,

After the update I encounter 3 issues:

• the default application menu icon changes
  • on PBP and RPi4 after logging in the page is a default kde plasma black one, no longer the manjaro nice one;
  • on PBP the splashboot image does not longer exist anymore. Only a black screen until the logging page appears. (This one bothers me a lot and I would like to resolve)

Thank you

Also running Phosh on PinePhone and having same issue.

EDIT: not PB, meant PinePhone

Guess not all packages have been upgraded to 40.3 yet, so I assume either gnome-settings or gnome-desktop is still on 40.2 resulting in the difference of version numbers…

Hi,

On top of the issues reported before, there is one more, very annoying: my PBP freezes randomly and only a hard restart resolves this. I have Manjaro on it since one year and a half, it never behaved like this.

Thanks

There is a post about a fix on the forum. Try setting your splascreen to the default one using KDE’s GUI and then setting it back to Breeze 2. I hope it will work for you

Screenshot

You are right!

The Breeze was overwritten with this default KDE one. :slight_smile:
I’ll use Breath2 for the moment. Thank you.
Still, this should be resolved. :wink:

• on PBP the splashboot image does not longer exist anymore. Only a black screen until the logging page appears. (This one bothers me a lot and I would like to resolve)

I think this happens because the kernel bootsplash was not added.
It should be like that? Is this a new feature? :slight_smile:

This is because of an update to Breath2 theme. Also happened on x86_64.

This is also because of the change, although I don’t know why. Also happens on x86_64.

This is because our kernel no longer ships with the unmaintained kernel bootsplash. We now use Plymouth instead. There was a guide in one of the latest Release announcements on how to enable plymouth.

This is not something we can act on, as it has no information at all.

Hi, thank you for your answer.

This is the guide?

You need to “activate” the theme. And maybe add display to your initramfs, if you want it shown early.

To activate theme, you add plymouth to the HOOKS in mkinitcpio.conf after base and udev and do sudo plymouth-set-default-theme -R materia-manjaro.

Also add quiet splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles to your extlinux.conf instead of the bootsplash thing.

Yes. After you install plymouth and plymouth-theme-manjaro packages ofcourse.

The splash works, thank you!

There are however this 3 lines appearing before the login screen to pop up, or when restarting.

These are kernel information lines, mentioning stuff that can still be improved on a kernel level.

i understand.

Is there a way to hide them?
Maybe in regards to the order that you have mentioned here?

after base and udev

There is.

Edit /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and remove the console=tty3 section from the APPEND line.

It worked, thank you!

1 Like