No need to trust rumors, plasma release schedules are public:
https://community.kde.org/Schedules/Plasma_5#Future_releases
Same goes for frameworks which are a different thing:
https://community.kde.org/Schedules/Frameworks

1 Like

Still not entirely resolved. :frowning:

It’s only “half fixed” according to Nate:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=440663#c35

If we go all the way back to @attishno1’s initial post in this thread, we see that the real problem was that the notification didn’t close after the compression had completed. If the notification had closed automatically (as it used to), then it would not have been clicked (and there would have been no crash).

This exact situation had already been reported as:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=442774

- What I was doing when the application crashed:
I compressed a video file to 7zip format via context menu of Dolphin.
The progress bar of Plasma notification reached 100& but the notification did not disappeared
spontaneously. Then I clicked on stop button of the notification and Plasma notified Dolphin crash.

What got fixed in 21.08.3 was the crash. The notification still does not auto-close.

Does that mean the compression has finished? or not? We have to go and check the 7-zip before we can confidently dismiss the notification, by clicking “stop compressing”!

I was annoyed too with the lack of 7z compress from Dolphin.
Then:
[1.] I tried DoubleCommander - which has it’s own menus/commands and 7z works out of the box and you may select many folders and choose to compress each on its own archive…
[2.] Installed Dolphin’s context menu extrension: 7z Archive Compress Decompress Menu - Quick Simple Install - KDE Store
[2b.] I left only 7z-1-compress.desktop, slightly modified to compress only zip and 7z, in ~/.local/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/

# Dolphin Services Easy Quick Install Suite 
# https://github.com/Intika-Linux-Plasmoid
# Contact: intika@librefox.org
# Release: 2019 intika
# License: GPL-3.0 
# Version: 5.21

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Service
Actions=compress_7ZIP;compress_ZIP;
Encoding=UTF-8
ServiceTypes=KonqPopupMenu/Plugin,inode/directory,all/allfiles
X-KDE-Priority=TopLevel
X-KDE-Submenu=Compress
Version=5.21
Name[da]=Komprimér til tar.gz

[Desktop Action compress_ZIP]
Exec=bash -c 'dir=$(dirname "$1"); cd "$dir"; files=""; y="0"; for i in "$@"; do file=$(basename "$i"); files="$files"" \\"""$file""\\""; y=$((y+1)); done; if [ $y -gt 1 ];then name=$(TITLE="Name of archive"; TEXT="Please enter a name for this archive:"; INIT="archive"; name=$(kdialog --title "$TITLE" --inputbox "$TEXT" "$INIT"); case $? in 0) getname="$name";; 1) getname="";; esac; echo "$getname"; "$getname"); if [ "$name" == "" ]; then kdialog --title "Compress" --error "Compression aborted!"; exit; fi; else name=$(basename "$1"); fi; archname="$name"".zip"; exec="zip -r ""\\"$archname\\"""$files"; overw="0"; if ( [ -d "$archname" ] || [ -f "$archname" ] ); then echo "file/folder exists"; overw=$(kdialog --warningyesno "This folder already includes an archive with the same name. Do you want to overwrite it?"; case $? in 0) ow="0";; 1) ow="1";; esac; echo "$ow"; "$ow"); fi; echo $overw; if [ "$overw" == "0" ]; then echo "$exec" > .comparchive.sh && chmod a=r+w+x .comparchive.sh; sh .comparchive.sh && rm .comparchive.sh; kdialog --title "Compress" --msgbox "Compression done!"; else kdialog --title "Compress" --error "Compression aborted!"; fi;' 'dummy-param' %U
Icon=application-x-archive
Name=Compress to zip
Name[de]=Komprimieren in zip
Name[es]=Comprimir como zip
Name[it]=Comprimi in zip
Name[fr]=Compresser en zip
Name[zh_CN]=压缩为 zip
Name[pl]=Spakuj jako zip
Name[pt_BR]=Comprimir como zip
Name[cs]=Komprimovat do zip
Name[tr]=zip olarak sıkıştır
Name[da]=Komprimér til zip

[Desktop Action compress_7ZIP]
Exec=bash -c 'dir=$(dirname "$1"); cd "$dir"; files=""; y="0"; for i in "$@"; do file=$(basename "$i"); files="$files"" \\"""$file""\\""; y=$((y+1)); done; if [ $y -gt 1 ];then name=$(TITLE="Name of archive"; TEXT="Please enter a name for this archive:"; INIT="archive"; name=$(kdialog --title "$TITLE" --inputbox "$TEXT" "$INIT"); case $? in 0) getname="$name";; 1) getname="";; esac; echo "$getname"; "$getname"); if [ "$name" == "" ]; then kdialog --title "Compress" --error "Compression aborted!"; exit; fi; else name=$(basename "$1");fi ; archname="$name"".7z"; exec="7z a -aoa ""\\"$archname\\"""$files"; overw="0"; if ( [ -d "$archname" ] || [ -f "$archname" ] ); then echo "file/folder exists"; overw=$(kdialog --warningyesno "This folder already includes an archive with the same name. Do you want to overwrite it?"; case $? in 0) ow="0";; 1) ow="1";; esac; echo "$ow"; "$ow"); fi; echo $overw; if [ "$overw" == "0" ]; then echo "$exec" > .comparchive.sh && chmod a=r+w+x .comparchive.sh; sh .comparchive.sh && rm .comparchive.sh; kdialog --title "Compress" --msgbox "Compression done!"; else kdialog --title "Compress" --error "Compression aborted!"; fi;' 'dummy-param' %U
Icon=application-x-archive
Name=Compress to 7z
Name[de]=Komprimieren in 7z
Name[es]=Comprimir como 7z
Name[it]=Comprimi in 7z
Name[fr]=Compresser en 7z
Name[zh_CN]=压缩为 7z
Name[pl]=Spakuj jako 7z
Name[pt_BR]=Comprimir como 7z
Name[cs]=Komprimovat do 7z
Name[tr]=7z olarak sıkıştır
Name[da]=Komprimér til 7z

It just works! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Back full circle…

Same issue still exists, even after the Stable Updates. Even after rebooting.

:pensive:

Version info:

KDE Plasma: 5.23.3
KDE Frameworks: 5.88.0
Qt: 5.15.2
Kernel: 5.15.2-2-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11

Ark: 21.08.3
Dolphin: 21.08.3

The latest comment (on November 18) by Nate on the bug report is quite telling, and sobering:

Now I’m getting similar issues with other “K” applications that are invoked via Dolphin’s context menus. This might not be solely an Ark/Dolphin issue, but rather a Dolphin issue (context menu + K application).

Or something… :disappointed:

I’m getting fatigued troubleshooting and diagnosing KDE’s recent regressions.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/stable-update-2021-11-19-kernels-gnome-41-1-plasma-5-23-3-frameworks-5-88-lxqt-1-0-xorg-server-21-1-mesa/91001/158?u=winnie

Just as possible solution for that or another Plasma bug cases:

The problem may be caused by old cache. Sometimes, after an upgrade, the old cache might introduce strange, hard to debug behaviour such as unkillable shells, hangs when changing various settings, Ark being unable to extract archives or Amarok not recognizing any of your music. This solution can also resolve problems with KDE and Qt applications looking bad after an update.

Already tried those troubleshooting steps. No difference. :confused:

Same issue on Intel GPU laptop and Nvidia GPU desktop.

What other issues are you getting?

The same as you described in your original post a month ago.

Th notification/progress will “hang” when using the context menu to compress a new 7z archive (or it will “unexpectedly” crash.) If you leave it long enough, and then press “Stop”, it will claim to have “failed”, but luckily your archive file is fine.

Basically, we went full circle, and with KDE Plasma 5.23.3 + Ark / Dolphin 21.08.3, using the context menu to create a new archive is a shot in the dark, with an erroneous progress bar / crash message.

Look in the bug report (submitted August 8, 2021), with the latest comment a few days ago from the lead KDE developer. It’s not very clear from whence this regression originated.

Yes. The bug is still there.

Another report has been submitted: 446006 – Ark crashed the plasmashell process while archiving (or ending archiving) a folder into 7z default profile format

But:

-) on outdated ark version only 21.08.3: I’m on unstable, but Arch’s stable still did not get the 21.11.80 version to request the update from (Arch Linux - Package Search);

-) with no debugging symbols also: Debug symbols on Manjaro - #5 by philm .

tl;dr, My entire desktop crashes and I only have the mouse pointer on a black background. The only remedy is R E I S U B :frowning:

Related to dolphin/ark … or? …

Is it says like that in journalctl? :slight_smile:

Perhaps it is only plasmashell process crashes but for some reason do not resurrect.

You can switch to virtual terminal ttyN (Ctrl+Alt+N), where N is a single digit.
If you have keyboard shortcut to terminal window you can start plasmashell process there and you will see desktop icon, panels again.

1 Like

Yes sure, compression started from the context menu.

21.11.80 is available in KDE-unstable repos.
If you need get it , you can edit the file /etc/pacman.conf to add:

[kde-unstable]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Then update.

Seems to be the next ark version will be the 21.11.80.
I re-made the same report for the future ark version of 22.03.70 (it is currently non-released latest git version): 446049 – Ark crashed the plasmashell process while archiving (or ending archiving) a folder into 7zip default profile format

But the same problem of

persists.
I also asked KDE staff about such crash report backtraces usefulness in that fresh report.

Thanks!

EDIT
Krusader (Advanced twin panel file manager for KDE (GIT version)) got commit of

If to proceed to read it’s description:

Important note: after this patch I’ve spotted crash, same as in the bug
443540 – Dolphin crashes after packing directory to 7z.
Looks like this crash has been fixed in the KF5 5.89(git).

Depending of author’s opinion, current (git version) of KDE Frameworks fixes the crash of Krusader and Dolphin.

Manjaro’s versons are: Manjaro - Branch Compare (currently 5.88 in all branches)
and
Schedules/Frameworks - KDE Community Wiki (and new version will go into Arch branches first before Manjaro unstable will get it).

NEWS

unstable branch got 21.08.321.12.0 KDE updates, including:

To upgrade (42):
  ark                       21.12.0-1         (21.08.3-1)         extra  1.5 MB
  dolphin                   21.12.0-1         (21.08.3-1)         extra  4.3 MB
  dolphin-plugins           21.12.0-1         (21.08.3-1)         extra  408.4 kB

but the first try to add a 20 MB folder on desktop into 7z archive via context menu still leads to:

Dec 10 21:20:15 systemd-coredump[1774]: [🡕] Process 1048 (plasmashell) of user 1000 dumped core.

UPDATE

Yesterday I got the update of

To upgrade (78):
  kwindowsystem         5.89.0-1      (5.88.0-1)      extra      802.1 kB
  plasma-framework      5.89.0-1      (5.88.0-1)      extra      4.2 MB

And if to try to archive a desktop folder into 7zip with context menu then

Dec 15 03:44:14 pc systemd-coredump[1736]: [🡕] Process 926 (plasmashell) of user 1000 dumped core.

(the issue remains)

7z compression was fixed in the testing branch, no error appears. :point_left:

Just four months and already fixed?