Anyone working on a Sway edition?

This is mirrored from github, any changes you make there should be automatically reflected here.

1 Like

Found out how I did that back then.
Wofi seems to use the gtk-theme. Since I didnā€™t set it, it looked strange. With the desktop-settings scheme you can set the theme. Now it looks great.

Hello there, I wanted to get some feedback on how to proceed.
So this is what my personally created layout looks like:

Since there already exists a manjaro sway edition for arm, we could decide to just have one style and adapt over to the already existing styling. Let me know what you think, keep existing or adapt to manjaro-arm version.

6 Likes

Uniformity is a positive, but not the highest goal imho. Overall it looks quite nice. Personally I would drop the powerline elements from the panel. I used to do those in bspwm edition with lemonpanel, but later felt that more simple and subtle design can be less distracting, and utility is what many tiling wm users appreciate.

2 Likes

I took a lot from both of your approaches and assembled something for myself. Would be very interested in what you think.

2 Likes

Looks very nice, indeed. Any major things you did change from the Manjaro ARM Sway configuration (noticed some changes for overlay help and application launcher so far)ā€¦

Looks quite good. What panel are you using and is it click able?

I used waybar as in the arm config but made some minor changes to the style and some more things clickable. What alternative panel would you have preferred?

Overall, I dropped a bunch of GTK* tools, that I donā€™t think we need and replaced them with tui-applications I like more.

I took the termite config from the arm profile because Iā€™ve got a pre OpenGL 3.x notebook (thinkpad x200) where I was testing the iso and have been annoyed by Kitty not working.

I am using man for the help-dialog, because I donā€™t see a big benefit in what appelgriebsch did with the custom menu - or perhaps I just donā€™t really understand it.

Overall I changed some things around the ā€œlook and feelā€ and hope theyā€™re a bit more consistent. I never used your arm built, but what I really liked is, how ā€œcleanā€ everything looks. Wanted to keep that.

1 Like

Thanks for the details. Will have a look at it later and check if I can take something over to the ARM version

Waybar sounds like a great choice.

Termite is probably better, since kitty is a nmbit unreliable at times. I would also consider lxterminal for a lighter option.

well, do you think its worth it? i have been using kitty in sway for ages without problem, until i was on said notebook. termite was primarily ā€˜already doneā€™ for the arm sway edition.

Well, Iā€™ve always needed to build the git version of kitty from AUR to use it at all .:sweat_smile: I donā€™t think terminal applications should depend on certain hardware.

1 Like

Termite was used as the ARM variants lack some decent OpenGL support for some of the SoCsā€¦ so all the hardware accelerated terminals such as kitty or alacritty couldnā€™t be used (yet). Looking forward to the mesa updates bringing proper support to ARM devices. Alacritty would be my terminal of choice TBH.

It all depends on what you want from the terminal. Kitty and alacritty have great performance, but are resource hogs. Lxterminal has daemon mode, which makes it much lighter when running multiple terminals. It can be configured to be minimalistic too. Termite is sorta inbetween, being light but without daemon mode.

1 Like

so basically the same problem as with pre 2010 x86

Moved over some of your customizations to the ARM profile and fixed some issues with the swaylock configuration. Feel free to have a look on my recent commits in Gitlab.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm: shouldnā€™t we somehow find a way not to duplicate our code there? In the end how I did set it up, itā€™s just a platform agnostic package after allā€¦

That depends a bitā€¦ First of all the final look and feel has still to be aligned, based on this we have to settle on a couple of packages that need to be available from official repos (at least for the ARM part; this would also include your sway settings package at the moment) and last but not least I was originally told by @Strit that doing these kind of setting packages, which will eventually overwrite customizations of the user during an update, are no longer the preferred way for initial image / desktop customizationā€¦

good to know. what is the preferred way?

I think I backported all your changes: feat: backport changes from arm profiles Ā· boredland/arch-repo@40392da Ā· GitHub

1 Like