After changing monitors, the desktop scaling is too large

No it didn’t work, so I guess I’ll wait.

so you are now running the lates nvidia? we can try installing hybrid drivers, although theyre not listed as available for your system from mhwd -l
so uninstall nvidia:
sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia
try installing hybrid:
sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime
if there were not errors/ warnings, reboot

Still no luck I’m afraid. The scaling is still wrong after doing that.

Have you tried logging in as a new/different user, and does the problem still persist? If not, then it’s almost certainly a local config file that’s the culprit.

So if the switching users dont work, install optimus manager and optimus manager qt, reboot… Then right click on the manager icon, and click on integrated/ intel, then click on settings, and select at startup integrated/ intel…
Also you could try downloading latest manjaro kde iso, select boot with proprietary drivers, snd check in the liveusb session the scaling issue…

I tried a new user and it was the same, the scaling issue happens even on the login screen.

I installed those two Optimus programs but neither one did anything when I ran them, I did get an error which I would post but my system won’t boot now so I can’t access it (on my phone currently).

I tried the liveusb, using the open source drivers didn’t have the problem but the proprietary ones did.

Strangely, it was after trying the liveusb that my system won’t boot, it gets stuck on a screen saying " /dev/sda2 clean, [bunch of numbers] files, [bunch of numbers] blocks".

I read that this caused by Nvidia driver which seems right considering I’m having issues with it. I also thought that maybe install those Optimus programs might have caused it but I installed them from the aur and I don’t know how to remove them from the tty.

Edit, I figured out how to uninstall Optimus but that wasn’t preventing the system from booting.

Edit 2, I also removed the Intel prime driver and that also didn’t fix the boot failure.

Edit 3, I removed every driver except video-linux and the system still won’t boot.

Edit 4, it seems manjaro just despises that 1080p monitor, I booted the liveusb with the proprietary drivers and the scaling is normal. I’m just going to reinstall manjaro, it really isn’t worth all this.

Thats unfortunate that it didnt work… Good news is that booting usb with proprietary worked without issues… Let us know if in the new install the scale issue is resolved

No, booting the liveusb with proprietary drivers still had the same issue, I only resolved it by going back to my old monitor. Which I just realised I didn’t mention in my previous edit

Just about to start the reinstall.

@brahma I think you should try to be careful when instructing people seeking for help, because it’s been multiple threads I retain myself to reply when you are, to see what is going to happen. You’re not careful at all and kinda YOLO random things. Please don’t. It is great to try to help, but you should be sure of what you’re suggesting. I don’t think people want to reinstall their system.

@FractalChaos If you can boot to live USB, then you should be able to fix the mess you did on your system. in the live environment try to chroot then simply remove what you installed.

//EDIT: reinstalling will not fix the issue. I think the issue here is that when using the Nvidia driver it doesn’t use the same scale (probably not using same first monitor or something like that), but this should be configurable somewhere (not sure yet, but anyway for now you need to fix the broken system).

If youre going to reinstall, maybe try different linux distro, for example kde neon or fedora kde, if you want to stay on kde… You can try also manjaro gnome live usb on the new monitor and check the scaliing issue there

We figured out that its the nvidia drivers, and i didnt recommend reinstall, but just to check if in the live usb he has the same issues…

You suggested him to install incompatible driver, and incompatible tools (and broke his system in the process?).

I didnt recommend wrong drivers, he installed them, and he had the same scalling issues with them … He didnt had any issues only when he run linux video drivers, on nvidia, nvidia 470, 390, and hybrid he had issues…

You can try to deny it but following your advices lead to breaking his system, that’s just what I’m pointing out. Try to be careful next time. I’m done here no need to continue the discussion, the OP has resigned anyway.

Well, manjaro is now reinstalled and using my old monitor everything is back to normal.

Overall, despite my system getting nuked, this has been a positive experience for me. I learned something very valuable; make sure to buy an AMD GPU before buying a new monitor.

The “new” 1080p monitor I tried to use was actually very old, over ten years old and did not cost me any money. I WAS going to buy an expensive new monitor and if this issue occurred after doing that I would be extremely gutted. Now I know to go AMD before doing that, and in this particular case reinstalling was not a big deal, my home partition is separate to root, and all I had to do was reinstall a few programs.

Omano, I already removed all that stuff from the TTY, leaving only the open source drivers which originally worked fine but for whatever reason still failed. I only reinstalled to fix the boot, I knew it wouldn’t solve the scaling issue, only changing back to my old monitor fixed that.

So even though all I needed to do was plug my old monitor back in to solve the problem I’m actually glad I learned what I did, so there’s no hard feelings brahma, thank you for trying to help.

1 Like

Probably removing the Optimus tools left some system configs it created in modprobe or another system folder.

I will search if you want to try again, how to properly fix the issue, I recall another thread I replied to long time ago with similar issue. It was about the DPI you can see in inxi for the monitor. This is something configurable.

//EDIT: maybe this? Everything is big on proprietary graphics - #2 by omano or source thread Nvidia Driver - Large Objects - #4 by omano

I do think that could be the culprit, the dpi setting, as only certain things were large, things that had text in them.

My brother has taken the other monitor back we’ve reattached them to the arms so I can’t really be bothered to redo it all again right now. I’ll try it later and post the result. Thanks for digging that up.

Yep, that was it.

Nice, I’m glad it is fixed.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.