About latest stable update

About latest stable update (the forum is a mess and I don’t know where to post!):

When I updated something with my KDE setup went wrong. Panel was polluted with some “quick launchers” despite me not having any in the first place. When I removed them and rebooted they came back again. I removed them for the second time. Then my “systray” got another stuff that never was there (some manjaro green icon, that is looking foreing in KDE tray). I believe its “manjaro kernel thingie”. I had to removi it ( I think twice). So settings are not respected and update killed my settings adding stuff that I didn’t want to add messing my panel settings.

There were some other errors I had to fix, but in the end its working as before.

UPDATE WAS TOO HUGE- ITS LIKE I HAD TO INSTALL THE SYTEM AGAIN - everything from kernel, python, kde, all kde software, browsers, all other software. When I observed what is being exchanged for a new one there was not a single thing left untouched. All. I mean all was exchanged for a new version. Simply put why the hell you do not do incremental updates and wait for the system to be like downloaded twice again!!

THIS IS NOT AN UPDATE! ITS A COMPLETE SYSTEM REINSTALL/EXCHANGE!!

Updates are held in Testing until the batch is stable enough to be pushed to Stable. If you want more incremental updates as new versions of applications come out, you can switch to Testing or Unstable.

1 Like

If you really want smaller incremental updates, you should try switching to the Testing or Unstable branch per instructions in the Wiki.

I’ve seen updates on the stable branch going quiet for a month, and when the big update came to my PCs (in my case, it was when Plasma 5.19 finally came to Stable last summer), I got some glitches too, so ever since I switched branches, my Manjaro setup now runs a lot less unpredictable after each and every update, even with the Plasma 5.20 update last month.

2 Likes

Some “smaller” updates should be pushed to stable. Whole KDE overhaul/exchanged should be tested longer, but browser updates, python should be pushed earlier. By the time you “test” updates and push them to stable the Arch sync is accumulated in GiB that makes no sense since you cannot test such a huuuge accumulation of packages.
I think the problem is as such:

1. Arch updates are crazily fast (more than once a day)
  2. You test them
  3. You test them
  4. A week have passed and you still test updates from Monday
  5. You sync with Arch
  6. Those packages you tested are a newer version
  7. Now you start testing those packages from Tusesday
  8. You test
  9. You Test
  10. You sync with Arch
  11. Now you have two weeks of updates synced with Arch, but you have only tested 2 days from from two weeks ago.
  12. Now you are waay behind Arch.
  13. You sync again and “test”, but there’s a catch: kernel was updated 4 times, KDE was updated 3x and now you have 2GB of complete system overhaul/exchange= Xorg, Kernels, nvidia drivers, and a few times KDE incl SDDM and at least once Qt. And on top of that you have “manual intervensions”
    IT WILL NEVER WORK. We need smaller daily incremental updates.

@man-jaro I’ve been using Manjaro KDE for 4 years and never had problems. Also I prefer less frequent but bigger updates – updating every day is tiring. So… your argument is very weak. If you want daily updates switch to Unstable Branch or go to Arch.

You don’t need shouting. We aren’t deaf :wink:

2 Likes

The team has been pushing updates this way for years, so i guess it works.

Agree, and according to DistroWatch Manjaro is more popular than Arch. This most likely mean that most users agree with Manjaro way than Arch way :slight_smile:

Nah, that’s only a page ranking, it only means more people are interested in Manjaro than in Arch.