Youtube-dl error: 429 " Too many request"

I am trying to download videos with " youtube-dl " but getting error:429 too many request.

$ youtube-dl https://youtu.be/lW6dvZOOXlo

[youtube] lW6dvZOOXlo: Downloading webpage
ERROR: Unable to download webpage: HTTP Error 429: Too Many Requests (caused by <HTTPError 429: ‘Too Many Requests’>); please report this issue on https://yt-dl.org/bug . Make sure you are using the latest version; type youtube-dl -U to update. Be sure to call youtube-dl with the --verbose flag and include its complete output.

How can I solve this ?

Hello!

Just open a terminal and type youtube-dl --verbose and then the videolink. That way the error that occurs is written in the terminal so you can copy and paste it into your bug report.

I just tried that particular video and it worked fine though. Maybe it was just a temporary issue on Youtube’s side.

1 Like

Google don’t want you to download the video - they make money from advertising etc.

Venturing a guess.

You could be facing the issue because you are using a VPN or a proxy and then Google thinks every request is from your system.

I am pretty sure this has happened to me, a few months ago.

I then changed VPN server and all the problems of downloading videos with youtube-dl disappeared. I am downloading probably 50 or so videos a day without a problem ( YouTube is my TV :slight_smile: ).

I think this happened during the time when I checked all my 400+ subscribed channels every half an hour or so (automated of course). YouTube did not seem to like that, at least at the end of the month. I think they have a “requests per month”-limit for each IP-address. I now check each subscribed channel every hour for the most active channels, up to every 4 hours for the least active channels.

On the Official Github’s Page of Youtube-DL there is the discussion about this warning:

And so:

Most of the time, when I face these errors, I run
youtube-dl --rm-cache-dir

And I am able again to make Youtube-DL to works properly again, but be aware, as other reported: from time to time, Youtube change the mechanism, so you’ll have to wait for a new release of Youtube-DL.