Yet another DirectX error in games

I’m new to Manjaro and linux and am attempting to run games in my steam. Some games (usually older and what i’d think of having simple graphics - like RimWorld) run with no problems. However, others (for example Gloomhaven) fail to launch. If I force run as Proton experimental the game fails to launch. However, if when messing around with versions some (v7) will give an Error “Failed to initialize player” - “Failed to initialize graphics. Make sure you have DirectX 11 installed …”.

I was searching the forums and saw in a previous post that the person had some success with updating drivers, but as i have a different setup than them was hoping i could get some guidance from the community so i don’t screw up messing with my drivers.

1 Like

RimWorld is a Linux native game.

It is not a Linux native game, so it needs proton/wine to run. Especially DX10/11/12 needs Vulkan on Linux, where DXVK or VKD3D translates DirectX into Vulkan. If your card cannot run Vulkan, then you are mostly out of luck.

pamac install vulkan-tools
vulkaninfo --summary
vkcube

Looks like i need to update the vulkan config?

vulkaninfo --summary

ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : loader_scanned_icd_add: Could not get 'vkCreateInstance' via 'vk_icdGetInstanceProcAddr' for ICD libGLX_nvidia.so.0
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : setup_loader_term_phys_devs:  Failed to detect any valid GPUs in the current config
ERROR at /usr/src/debug/vulkan-tools/Vulkan-Tools-1.3.240/vulkaninfo/vulkaninfo.h:237:vkEnumeratePhysicalDevices failed with ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

Looks like your GPU is not capable to run vulkan? It is like DirectX or OpenGL: The GPU have to support it. If not, then it doesn’t work.

What kind of GPU do you have?

inxi -Gazy 
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER] vendor: Micro-Star MSI
    driver: nouveau v: kernel non-free: 525.xx+ status: current (as of 2023-02)
    arch: Turing code: TUxxx process: TSMC 12nm FF built: 2018-22 pcie: gen: 1
    speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 16 link-max: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s ports:
    active: HDMI-A-1 empty: DP-1,DP-2,DP-3 bus-ID: 08:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:21c4
    class-ID: 0300 temp: 21.0 C
  Display: x11 server: X[.]Org v: 21.1.7 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: X:
    loaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev,vesa dri: nouveau gpu: nouveau
API: OpenGL v: 4.3 Mesa 22.3.5 renderer: NV168 direct-render: Yes

Your current driver is the open source driver nouveau. You have to install the proprietary driver of nvidia, so that vulkan works.

1 Like

Ah, that was indeed the issue and the fix. This helped as well.

https[:]//wiki[.]manjaro[.]org / index[.]php?title=Configure_NVIDIA_(non-free)_settings_and_load_them_on_Startup

You are a scholar and gentlefolk.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.