Yay -Syu - error not a git repository or any point up to mount point /

G’day. Recent issue with updating from the AUR. I’m getting the following error below. I’ve tried some searching, and the error does seem common, but the “or any point up to mount point /” isn’t that common. Most solutions seem to be to do a clean build. I tried that using “yay -Syu --cleanmenu” but same error. Any tips?

$ yay -Syu                                                                                                                                                             ✔
[sudo] password for troy:
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do
:: Searching databases for updates...
:: Searching AUR for updates...
 -> Missing AUR Packages:  gcolor2  ipw2100-fw  ipw2200-fw  manjaro-documentation-en  manjaro-firmware
 -> Flagged Out Of Date AUR Packages:  libretro-mame2003-plus-git  obs-streamfx  rofi-power-menu  spotify  ttf-twemoji-color
:: 2 Packages to upgrade.
2  aur/auto-cpufreq  1.9.6-1      -> 1.9.7-1
1  aur/brave-bin     1:1.45.133-1 -> 1:1.46.134-1
==> Packages to exclude: (eg: "1 2 3", "1-3", "^4" or repo name)
==>
:: Checking for conflicts...
:: Checking for inner conflicts...
[Aur:2]  auto-cpufreq-1.9.7-1  brave-bin-1:1.46.134-1

2 auto-cpufreq                     (Installed) (Build Files Exist)
  1 brave-bin                        (Installed) (Build Files Exist)
==> Packages to cleanBuild?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==>
:: (0/2) Downloaded PKGBUILD: brave-bin
:: (0/2) Downloaded PKGBUILD: auto-cpufreq
 -> error fetching brave-bin: fatal: not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /)
Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).
         context: exit status 128

error fetching auto-cpufreq: fatal: not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /)
Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).
         context: exit status 128

Hi @troypiggo,

Accoring to this page:

Just type git init into your command line and press enter. Then run your command again, you probably were running git remote add origin [your-repository].

That should work, if it doesn’t, just let me know.

So try that:

git init

Thanks mate. Stupid question - which directory should I be typing “git init” in?

I honestly have 0 , none, NO idea…

See error fetching lib32-gdbm (not a git repository) · Issue #655 · Jguer/yay · GitHub

thank you, cleanbuilding did it

Thanks mate. I had previously tried cleanbuilding it based on my own searches, and that didn’t work. I tried the “git init” in the ~/.cache/yay/brave-bin folder, didn’t work.

Ended up completely deleting the cache folders for the 2 apps giving me the error message (brave-bin and auto-cpufreq) and that seemed to do the trick. Not sure what the actual problem was though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.