Yay repositories

Hi there,

I can’t find any list for the possible replacable yay repos

The cloning speed is super slow so I need an alternative mirror

Any list/command to get the geoip servers?

There’s no such thing. Yay is an AUR helper. Each AUR package has its own source which is usually GitHub, Gitlab, etc.

Which package are you trying to install?

3 Likes

swift-language

You can see on the AUR page under Sources it’s cloning GitHub - apple/swift: The Swift Programming Language

1 Like

How to compile the downloaded zip file using git?

yay or pamac build return errors

You don’t compile a zip file and you don’t install a zip file.

Just use pamac to install using the AUR PKGBUILD script

$ pamac build swift-language

Or if you prefer the more manual

$ git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/swift-language
$ cd swift-language
$ makepkg -is
1 Like

What I meant was the content of the zip file containing the source code. But thanks, you gave the command too

I tried this but during the compile process it gives error

1 Like

Have you checked the AUR page for the script? It usually contains answers to common problems.

Is there anyway to use makepkg on the manually downloaded source code from githhub? Cause the download speed of the cli was too slow so I downloaded the code in a zip format

No - building for Arch and Manjaro requires a PKGBUILD - if it creates errors fix the PKGBUILD

I get ~ 300 Kb/s - 10% in ~ 4 minutes - it will finish eventually …
there is also swift-bin, not the same version, though …

88-100 KB/s

It’s very slow

It really is a needed feature to have mirrors

The strange thing is, the zip file using XDM is about 400KB/s

And I really wish there was a way to compile that file instead

It will be compiled - but not from that file.
The AUR package downloads the source and compiles it.

Download is not very swift now, is it? :wink:
Maybe it get’s better when you get to use it …
(I’m at 20% now and will stop - so your rate can get better …)

There is no option for ‘mirrors’ when you build packages using PKGBUILD scripts. Why - you ask? Because PKGBUILD scripts pull what they need from source - so any build - even if source is hosted on the most slow server on the internet - will pull scripts from that slow server no matter what you do.

The cloning of the swift-language source repo takes time - on a very fast internet connection several minutes - so imagine a slow connection - it will take quite a while … sorry - but that is the truth - then there is all the subrepos … you with have to have patience - a lot of it.

Even on a 300Mbit fibre connection - this is taking … a long time … pulling a lot of repos … be patient …

The llvm repo is cloned too … better be patient - it is several GB worth of data …

After cloning several repos - and more to come

-> Cloning llvm-project git repo...
Cloning into bare repository '/var/tmp/pamac-build-fh/swift-language/llvm-project'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 459, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (459/459), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (51/51), done.
remote: Total 4984794 (delta 413), reused 409 (delta 408), pack-reused 4984335
Receiving objects: 100% (4984794/4984794), 1.50 GiB | 3.17 MiB/s, done.

I am on 1.5 GB data and only 90% cloned … beter watch out …

Then you need to compile everything … - more patience and more disk space required …

-- Build files have been written to: /var/tmp/pamac-build-fh/swift-language/src/build/buildbot_linux/llvm-linux-x86_64
+ popd
/var/tmp/pamac-build-fh/swift-language/src
symlinking the system headers (/usr/include/c++) into the local clang build directory (/var/tmp/pamac-build-fh/swift-language/src/build/buildbot_linux/llvm-linux-x86_64/include).
2 Likes