Device-2: MEDIATEK MT7922 802.11ax PCI Express
    Wireless Network Adapter driver: mt7921e
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 3.68 TiB
    used: 1.89 TiB (51.4%)
Info:
  Processes: 498 Uptime: 13m Memory: 62.54 GiB
  used: 2.93 GiB (4.7%) Shell: Zsh inxi: 3.3.23

I updated my bios today, and wasn’t able to boot afterwards. It was giving me strange errors about not recognizing btrfs. I did a CMOS reset, and it booted fine. Once I got in, I noticed that for the first time since installing manjaro, my built in wifi was working.

I went back into bios and turned on XMP, and it booted, but this time without wifi or bluetooth. After another reboot, I couldn’t get into manjaro. XMP is apparently a little hit or miss on this bios revision, because yet again… I was having trouble booting consistently. Upon another CMOS reset wifi works again.

I can understand boot issues, but does anyone have an explanation as to why wifi doesn’t work with XMP enabled?

Thanks!

As it is technically an overclock, I think it does something to the AMD infinity fabric and it can create issues then with some peripherals because some data at some point can get corrupt. I think I read something about that recently, it was with Creative soundcards, which was not working with overclock/XMP enabled on specific hardware.

Maybe you can contact your motherboard manufacturer and tell them about this issue.
Does it work on Windows when it doesn’t on Linux? If it is the same on both it is better, for the motherboard manufacturer to want to look at it.

Maybe try to re-sit your RAM, clean the ports, do some voodoo, you never know :wink:

//EDIT: the info in what I read not so long ago is here Creative Worldwide Support > Tukitietokannan ratkaisut so maybe if your XMP is bad for your hardware (combo motherboard/RAM/CPU) it is too unstable and create even hardware issues. I had an experience reproducible on multiple computers, with that exact issue and after loading the XMP profile, I just had to increase the tRC latency value in the bios manually to make it stable. Is your RAM a Corsair Vengence kit?

1 Like

It does work on windows, but not with the AMD driver provided by the motherboard manufacturer. I got it to work with a driver provided by lenovo for an AMD laptop. Yes, I have Corsair vengeance DDR5 5600. maybe i’ll play around with the ram settings in a bit.

From my understanding the XMP issue is because it is made for Intel CPUs and can not work great for AMD. I think some kits are optimized for AMD.

Yeah, I figured that could be an issue. It’s supposed to work though. When I bought this kit, I couldn’t really find an AMD optimized DDR5 RAM kit. I am sure they are available now, but my return window has closed anyway.

I will play around with my RAM settings and see if I can get something stable to happen. A lot of the BIOS updates for this board so far, have been to improve ram compatibility.

There is some other update I am supposed to do, but it’s done via an .exe file I think… Add memory voltage options over 1.435V “One-click EC FW Update”. I don’t have windows installed at this time.

If I can’t manually tune it to be stable, maybe I will just wait for a few more bios revisions, and try again later.