Xflock4 is not “seeing” xfce4-screensaver on Fresh Install

I just performed a new install and attempted to use the the shortcut ctrl+alt+del to lock the screen. Nothing happened.

I went to the whisker menu and clicked on the lock icon. Nothing happened.

I checked the keyboard application shortcuts and xflock4 is defined for ctrl+alt+del. So I attempted to run xflock4 from the command line. This is what happened:

[cddrew@Orangekarat ~]$ xflock4
/bin/sh: line 1: light-locker-command: command not found
'light-locker-command --lock' exited with status 127

I’m at a loss here. I’ve installed Manjaro with XFCE several times and have never seen this behavior before. Any help would be appreciated.

Is it installed on new iso? I think they changed to xfce4-screensaver. Please visit package list of current iso.

1 Like

You’re correct. I guess the issue is that on a fresh install the bash script xflock4 is not “seeing” ‘xfce4-screensaver’, even though I verified that it’s installed and can be configured, and that light-locker is no longer installed by default.

Anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

What does xflock4 look like in Manjaro Settings-Keyboard-Application Shortcuts?

I have two options in there Ctrl+Alt+L and Ctrl+Alt+Delete. I am uncertain which one was the default and which one I may have created.

Dumb Question: In Lock Screen Tab of Xfce Screensaver, do you have Lock Screen enabled?

Does the screen lock when you run xflock4 in terminal?

Mine is clearly defined as Ctrl+Alt+Del

Yep!

No. It throws the error (see above).

My usr/bin/xflock has the following:

# This list should be kept in sync with XfceScreensaver (libxfce4ui)
xdg-screensaver lock </dev/null 2>/dev/null && exit
for lock_cmd in \
    xscreensaver-command \
    light-locker-command

Is yours missing the reference to light-locker-command ?

Mine is as follows. Looks the same:

# This list should be kept in sync with XfceScreensaver (libxfce4ui)
xdg-screensaver lock </dev/null 2>/dev/null && exit
for lock_cmd in \
    xscreensaver-command \
    light-locker-command

Not sure why it looks for light-locker at all, as the most recent Manjaro ISO doesn’t install it.

in Whisker Menu Properties is Lock Screen Checked?

Yes.

In Manjaro-Settings-Session and Startup-Application Autostart Tab
Is Xfce Screensaver Checked to autostart. If not, check and restart the computer

It’s checked:

Why not just install the light-locker package? This immediately solved the problem for me and xflock4 works as it should!

-Chris

Okay, I tried it. Still nothing, but the error in the command line is now different:

[cddrew@Orangekarat ~]$ xflock4
** Message: 15:46:10.844: Received error message from the locker: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver was not provided by any .service files
'light-locker-command --lock' exited with status 1

Never mind. I rebooted and it resolved. I never wanted to use xfce4-screensaver anyway. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.