Xfce4 terminal preset not saved

After the recent update the xfce4 terminal (v1.1.0) ignores and does not save any changes I do in Preferences. Any idea what is going on are some file permissions broken or something? Anybody else with such behaviour?

If there is something wrong with the permissions, then why don’t you check them? :man_shrugging:

All user-level configuration files are located in the user’s $HOME and should be owned by the user, as well as have write permission for the user in question.

Works on my pc. The preferences are in /home/USER/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-terminal.xml
Otherwise, how do you start it? That was the first thing i learned in manjaro - starting from icon is not the same as hitting ctrl-alt-T as in other distros. 2 different terminals with 2 set of settings by default, if you do not change it somewhere in the preferences (i forgot where exactly, maybe by the shortcut combos or appearance).

Those permissions are all set correctly. Is that the only place (~/.config/xfce4/terminal/) my changes are stored? If so then the permissions are OK and it is something else.

Hmm, I don’t have the /home/USER/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-terminal.xml file present on the system. That looks like a good lead, thank you. I had everything in ~/.config/xfce4/terminal/terminalrc.

Those are the settings for some other terminal (or part of the settings), i just toggled the transparency of xfce4-terminal and the file that was edited according to the timestamp was ......xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-terminal.xml

Summary
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<channel name="xfce4-terminal" version="1.0">
  <property name="background-darkness" type="double" value="0.80000000000000004"/>
  <property name="dropdown-position-vertical" type="uint" value="11"/>
  <property name="dropdown-show-borders" type="bool" value="true"/>
  <property name="misc-always-show-tabs" type="bool" value="false"/>
  <property name="misc-bell" type="bool" value="false"/>
  <property name="misc-bell-urgent" type="bool" value="false"/>
  <property name="misc-borders-default" type="bool" value="true"/>
  <property name="misc-cursor-blinks" type="bool" value="false"/>
  <property name="misc-cursor-shape" type="string" value="TERMINAL_CURSOR_SHAPE_BLOCK"/>
  <property name="misc-default-geometry" type="string" value="115x28"/>
  <property name="misc-inherit-geometry" type="bool" value="false"/>
  <property name="misc-menubar-default" type="bool" value="true"/>
  <property name="misc-mouse-autohide" type="bool" value="false"/>
  <property name="misc-mouse-wheel-zoom" type="bool" value="true"/>
  <property name="misc-toolbar-default" type="bool" value="false"/>
  <property name="misc-confirm-close" type="bool" value="true"/>
  <property name="misc-cycle-tabs" type="bool" value="true"/>
  <property name="misc-tab-close-buttons" type="bool" value="true"/>
  <property name="misc-tab-close-middle-click" type="bool" value="true"/>
  <property name="misc-tab-position" type="string" value="GTK_POS_TOP"/>
  <property name="misc-highlight-urls" type="bool" value="true"/>
  <property name="misc-middle-click-opens-uri" type="bool" value="false"/>
  <property name="misc-copy-on-select" type="bool" value="false"/>
  <property name="misc-show-relaunch-dialog" type="bool" value="true"/>
  <property name="misc-rewrap-on-resize" type="bool" value="true"/>
  <property name="misc-slim-tabs" type="bool" value="false"/>
  <property name="misc-new-tab-adjacent" type="bool" value="false"/>
  <property name="misc-search-dialog-opacity" type="uint" value="100"/>
  <property name="misc-show-unsafe-paste-dialog" type="bool" value="true"/>
  <property name="misc-right-click-action" type="string" value="TERMINAL_RIGHT_CLICK_ACTION_CONTEXT_MENU"/>
  <property name="scrolling-lines" type="uint" value="999999"/>
  <property name="font-use-system" type="bool" value="false"/>
  <property name="background-mode" type="string" value="TERMINAL_BACKGROUND_SOLID"/>
</channel>

You can create the file manually and see what happens.

1 Like

So after a bit of investigation I somehow miss DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS set because I am seeing libxfconf initlization failures. I am running on very old system, installed 2016 so it probably is messed up over the years. What works for me is to export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="unix:path=/run/user/$UID/bus" and all of a sudden everything works.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.