Xfce4-panel crashing

I just upgraded my manjaro xfce and xfce4-panel stopped working. When I log in with x2go, I see only black screen. I can press alt+f2 and start xfce4-terminal and all other graphical apps work properly too, eg: xfce4-about. When I write in the terminal xfce4-panel I see only some blinking (like the panel tries to be created, it is visible for fraction of a second and then disappears and does it serveral times). Eventually the panel is not shown and I get the error:

(xfce4-panel:2364): Gdk-WARNING **: 17:26:57.175: The program 'xfce4-panel' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.
  (Details: serial 412 error_code 1 request_code 148 (X-Resource) minor_code 4)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
   variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

(wrapper-2.0:2372): xfce4-panel-wrapper-WARNING **: 17:26:57.233: ProviderSignal call failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.264 was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:2370): xfce4-panel-wrapper-WARNING **: 17:26:57.235: ProviderSignal call failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.264 was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:2371): xfce4-panel-wrapper-WARNING **: 17:26:57.259: ProviderSignal call failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.264 was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:2371): xfce4-panel-wrapper-WARNING **: 17:26:57.259: ProviderSignal call failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.264 was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:2371): xfce4-panel-wrapper-WARNING **: 17:26:57.260: ProviderSignal call failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.264 was not provided by any .service files

** (wrapper-2.0:2371): WARNING **: 17:26:57.267: Binding 'XF86AudioMicMute' failed!

(wrapper-2.0:2371): pulseaudio-plugin-WARNING **: 17:26:57.267: Could not have grabbed volume control keys. Is another volume control application (xfce4-volumed) running?

(wrapper-2.0:2369): xfce4-panel-wrapper-WARNING **: 17:26:57.275: ProviderSignal call failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.264 was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:2369): xfce4-panel-wrapper-WARNING **: 17:26:57.275: ProviderSignal call failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.264 was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:2369): garcon-CRITICAL **: 17:26:57.302: garcon_menu_node_get_node_type: assertion 'GARCON_IS_MENU_NODE (node)' failed

(wrapper-2.0:2369): garcon-CRITICAL **: 17:26:57.302: garcon_menu_node_get_node_type: assertion 'GARCON_IS_MENU_NODE (node)' failed

(wrapper-2.0:2369): garcon-CRITICAL **: 17:26:57.302: garcon_menu_resolve_directory: assertion 'GARCON_IS_MENU (menu)' failed

(wrapper-2.0:2369): garcon-CRITICAL **: 17:26:57.302: garcon_menu_collect_files: assertion 'GARCON_IS_MENU (menu)' failed

(wrapper-2.0:2369): garcon-CRITICAL **: 17:26:57.302: garcon_menu_resolve_items: assertion 'GARCON_IS_MENU (menu)' failed

(wrapper-2.0:2369): garcon-CRITICAL **: 17:26:57.302: garcon_menu_resolve_items: assertion 'GARCON_IS_MENU (menu)' failed

(wrapper-2.0:2369): garcon-CRITICAL **: 17:26:57.302: garcon_menu_remove_deleted_menus: assertion 'GARCON_IS_MENU (menu)' failed

(wrapper-2.0:2369): garcon-CRITICAL **: 17:26:57.302: garcon_menu_start_monitoring: assertion 'GARCON_IS_MENU (menu)' failed

Also every some time I get dialog box with error:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.xfce.Panel was not provided by any .service files

Any ideas how to fix it? Thank you.

What I tried so far without success:

• changing kernel from 5.15 to 5.10
  • xfce4-panel -r
  • xfwm4 --replace
  • removing ~/.config/xfce4/panel and ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml
  • rebuilding x2goserver packages: yay --rebuildtree -S x2goserver (answered “All” to clean build all packages)
  • remove x2goserver (and its unused depndencies) and install it again

My os info - inxi

Unsure if this will help but try
xfwm4 --replace in a terminal.

It doesn’t help. Only some blinks on the screen and then nothing happens, xfce4-panel still not working.

$ xfwm4 --replace

(xfwm4:6219): xfwm4-WARNING **: 18:51:13.782: XSync extension too old (3.0).

(xfwm4:6219): xfwm4-WARNING **: 18:51:13.784: The display does not support the XComposite extension.

(xfwm4:6219): xfwm4-WARNING **: 18:51:13.784: The display does not support the XPresent extension.

(xfwm4:6219): xfwm4-WARNING **: 18:51:13.784: Compositing manager disabled.
Waiting for current window manager (Xfwm4) on screen :53.0 to exit: Done

This is all AUR packages (if not worse). Have you tried to rebuild them ?

Thank you for suggestion. I use yay for managing AUR packages.

I rebuilt x2goserver on the remote host and x2goclient on local machine, but it didn’t help (with yay --rebuildtree -S x2goserver (answered to clean build all packages) and yay --rebuildtree -S x2goclient)

So i removed x2goserver completely (along with its unused dependencies - yay -Rs x2goserver) and then installed it again but the problem still persists.

Any other ideas what’s wrong with my either xfce or x2goserver?

I’ve had this exact problem with x2go and xfce for the last month on my VPS. Though I’m not using Manjaro specifically, but just pure ArchLinux.

So I’m guessing it does have something to do with xfce4 and ArchLinux and an update to one or the other in the last month the started causing this problem.

EDIT: I’ve narrowed it down to the libwnck3 library. Specifically version 43 of that library that causes the problem. If you downgrade that library to the previous version of 40.1, x2go will start working again. And apparently it’s already been reported at the libwnck3 gitlab. Unable to post a link, sorry…

Not sure why that didn’t come up when googling for the problem in the first place. Would have saved me a few hours of head scratching lol :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Wow, it works, you’re a hero! Thank you very much.
The issue you mentiond is here on gitlab

Btw. How did you find out it’s libwnck3 fault? Did you check what xfce4 dependencies were upgraded lately and were downgrading them one by one or how?

At first I just tried downgrading xfce4-panel since it had a recent update. That was a no go.

Next I started xfce4-panel through gdb and a breakpoint on “gdk_x_error”. Once the breakpoint was hit, I looked at the backtrace and seen one of the most recent calls was coming from a function that was part of that libwnck3 library.

I then also seen that library had a recent update as well. So once I downgraded that package, it started working again. Then I was going to report it on their gitlab and seen it had already been reported.

I don’t have enough knowledge about gdb and “gdk_x_error” to be able to solve it myself. Thank you again.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.