XFCE GPU driver issues?

Not really sure if this is a driver issue or something else. I have installed XFCE on a older mini laptop. I’ll start by saying this laptop runs MX Linux KDE just fine with bigger ram usage 600+ on start up vs 500+ for XFCE. General usage is also heavier for MX over time.

The problem is the when using a browers, be it Firefox, Midori or Vivaldi the system stutters and sometimes locks up when transitioning video from a box view to full screen. Loading images also stutters.

I checked the drivers for graphics (Radeon HD8180 )and nothing really stands out. Not proprietary but I doubt there’s a choice as its one of those shared memory propositions.

This really feels like an optimisation issue but I’m no guru with XFCE. I have looked around but found no real solution. If anyone has had a similar experience or has some suggestions that would be welcome.

have you tried going into windows tweaks & disable the compositor.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Kerry. It does make things a little smoother during playback but opening and closing video’s still has some issues with exaggerated delays. May be its not well optimised for my particular GPU?

it’s probably an xorg/x11 bug, you say you ran kde fine, so i’m thinking yours likes wayland, try the manjaro plasma or gnome desktop see what happens.

Yes I have in fact installed KDE and its not too bad. Little slow but certainly better than XFCE.

you need to learn to sway:

https://swaywm.org/

GitHub - Manjaro-Sway/manjaro-sway: 🚧 manjaro linux with wayland 🖼, sway 🌴 and a lot of ♥

i use manjaro arm sway on a rpi400, once you learn it all the other desktops are boring.
i’m running at low res cause my eyes are blurry. mines really tweaked.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.