Xfce default mouse setting is killing me day by da

dear team,
i have tested KDE before, and there was a setting for mouse, i can set mouse profile sot flat,
but in xfce there is no setting for flat mode,
please give me a easy way to change mouse profile to flat :frowning:

What do you mean by flat exactly? like theme?

Hello and welcome,

KDE Plasma and XFCE deal a bit different with the mouse settings.

• On KDE by default is where you have the Acceleration profile Flat available:

• XFCE has this options, but you also have to check the Behavior tab

Please let us know if there is something else you are actually looking for.

1 Like

Don’t think you need it or need to worry about it on xfce or kde, this guys answers it on this post

" Some digging unearthed information that is “for developers and is not necessarily useful for users”.

After trying the different settings, I experienced:

1. adaptive - Less precise than other modes while moving the mouse slowly or quickly. It’s quite jittery.
  2. default: Very smooth and accurate when moving short distances. If I move the pointer across the screen I’ll occasionally overreach the target. This mode basically seems to begin with a slow acceleration and increase as the mouses speed increases.
  3. flat: There is no acceleration. Moving short distances results in less precision than the default profile, but I can anticipate where the pointer will be a bit better when moving over large distances, which helps avoid the overreach. I read here that when playing FPS games you want this profile."

Hope that helps your questions :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

whats in behavior tab ? there is nothing for accelaration setting

I also had trouble with this, and today on a fully updated xfce manjaro system using a logitech M570 trackball, I am only able to disable pointer acceleration:

@bogdancovaciu suggests that there are settingsunder the behavior tab, but in my settings I only see this:

After installing xorg-xinput I figured out how to change the sensitivity of the mouse using the coordinate transform matrix: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/90572/how-can-i-set-mouse-sensitivity-not-just-mouse-acceleration?rq=1

After doing that I made a small script which allows the user to change their sensitivity, while I was at it I also made a secondary script which turns off acceleration - that way you can do them both at once if you need to - I don’t think these settings are saved between sessions, but read the code for my scripts and then run the xinput set-prop ... setting when you login. The sensitivity script should let you experiment to find your desired sensitivity.

mouse_sensitivity.sh

#!/usr/bin/env bash
xinput --list
read -p "Which of the above devices would you like to change the mouse sensitivity? (give the id number)" id
echo    # (optional) move to a new line
read -p "What would you like to change your mouse sensivity to?" sens
# Add a scalar multiplier to the matrix
xinput set-prop $id "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" $sens 0 0 0 $sens 0 0 0 1

mouse_accel.sh

#!/usr/bin/env bash
# https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/pointer-acceleration.html#the-flat-pointer-acceleration-profile
xinput --list
read -p "Which of the above devices would you like to disable mouse sensivity on? (give the id number)" id
echo    # (optional) move to a new line
xinput --set-prop $id 'libinput Accel Profile Enabled' 0, 1

create these two files, make them executable chmod +x FILE and then run them.