Xbox 360 Wireless gamepad works but light keeps flashing

On a fresh startup, when connecting the gamepads, they will work fine, but the indicator will continually flash as if not connected. The impact is purely superficial, but very annoying - you can’t tell which number player the gamepad represents (1 to 4) and the constant flashing is very, very distracting.

It’s easily fixed by unplugging and replugging the USB wireless dongle - the gamepads reconnect and the indicator light behaves correctly from then on. You just have to repeat this each time Manjaro boots.

Definitely not the battery - I have 4 identical gamepads and dual boot Windows 7 and only have this problem in Manjaro. Always happens, on a full charge, every time.

Any ideas?

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.19.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.72.0
Qt Version: 5.15.0
Kernel Version: 5.6.19-2-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Memory: 31.3 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2

You might want to blacklist your dongle from USB sleep/powersave. Will edit when I’ll find the proper way to do it (but if you google you would probably be quicker than me).

EDIT: in theory, grab your USB dongle ID with lsusb command and add it to the blacklist of the /etc/tlp.conf TLP config file USB_BLACKLIST="1234:yyyy" (replace the ID with your dongle ID).

1 Like

That is bloody fantastic. That simple fix worked immediately on the next reboot, I never thought it would be fixed so easily. Thank you :slightly_smiling_face: